PDA

View Full Version : html help - website comments

Shroeder
22-07-2002, 10:38 AM
Thanks to all for your comments.

At the moment I have simply included the bits (they were navigation links) on each page. Not too onerous as there is only 8 pages and not that much chance of frequent changes.

It is a site for our local cricket club (not very populated yet but we want to get it up in time for registration) - I've gone for function over form :)

Have a look at

whitby cricket club (http://www.whitbycricket.orcon.net.nz)

and post comments that would let me improve it if you like.

Thanks

Sam H
22-07-2002, 04:22 PM
First off It'sgood to see that you have stuck to a theme, however these are the changes I would make.

1. It's a site about cricket so perhaps a couple of pics, at least one on the main page but don't make it too big otherwise it will take too long to load.

2. I would put the home link at the start and have all the other links in alphabetical order. home contacts draw links ... etc. (always have home at the start though).

Just another note on links , I would make the page that the person is on just plain text. So when they are on the home page then clicking the home link will do nothing.

Good work all the same.

Cheers
Sam

Biggles
22-07-2002, 04:24 PM
I'd ditch the purple text - it doesn't help readability. Go with basic black, the colour for all occaisions.

Shroeder
23-07-2002, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.

I have made some changes (Will put a small picture/logo up once the club decides what to use)

I think I will also put each of the field maps up on separate pages with links only from "draw"

sal 
23-07-2002, 11:26 AM
whoa, i bet the amount of orcon customers has doubled, i know several people are using webspace there, and they have had no previous experience with webspace. good job orcon, but i think the should include 'pc world' in the 'where did you hear about us' menu.

Shroeder
23-07-2002, 11:39 AM
Yes, but...

any comments on the site?

;)

Elwin Way
23-07-2002, 11:57 AM
First up, nice to see such a clean site!

Want some tips:

1- A bit much blue. Replace your side image with something relevant eg a cricket ball or something
2- You are going to put a form in the member page (where it says ' fill out the form below') aren't you? :)
3- The field maps only need to be 3 colour GIFs. This will make them load lickety split. If you want, I can help you with converting these.
4- Is it intententional that all sentances and heading start with a lower case character?

Shroeder
23-07-2002, 12:25 PM

1. Yes, I will do something like this once I have the content right

2. I had one there (last night) but it didn't seem to work - then I got too tired and collapsed into bed - I suspect the orcon free sites don't handle scripts very well (but I'm such a newbie at this I will have to do more research/learning)

3. Yes please (do you need something from me)?

4. Yes it is intentional (I was initially using a cool font that made this look real cool (enviro), but then I learned that people don't see it in that font :_|

Elwin Way
23-07-2002, 01:31 PM
> 3. Yes please (do you need something from me)?

Just an address to send them to.

Shroeder
23-07-2002, 01:39 PM
umm..

try whitbycc@orcon.net.nz

I'm pretty sure I can pick up mail from there.

Thanks for everything

:D

Elwin Way
23-07-2002, 04:48 PM
'Tis done. Check your letter box. Have renamed files by putting X at the end of the name. This should avoid confusion when swapping them around.

No Probs :)

Susan B
23-07-2002, 05:12 PM
Nice clean site, as someone else said.

I would suggest that you decrease the space between headings, eg contacts, draw, etc and the paragraph, and increase the space between the paragraphs. In other words swap the spaces around. Removing the break might be enough, otherwise you might have to alter the formatting a little.

Spam harvester bots are very good at their job so you might want to check with your contacts whether they want to provide an alternative address specially for your page. Otherwise it won't be too long before their inboxes get flooded with junk. Take it from me, I know.

Other than that, your site will benefit from some cricket-related images or your club's logo or whatever.

godfather
23-07-2002, 07:24 PM
> I'd ditch the purple text - it doesn't help
> readability. Go with basic black, the colour for all
> occaisions.

Purple - what purple - come to think of it what is purple?
Damn - colourblind, forgot!

Remember us 12% minority red/green deficient people. Purple looks like blue...<hmm..what does blue look like..>

I like the cleanliness of the site.

Susan B
23-07-2002, 08:18 PM
Out of interest godfather, if you can't see red or green colours, what do they look like to you? Are they black or invisible?!

Heck, what does grass look like to you? And how do you get on at traffic lights?? :O

I've never come across a colourblind person before. Or not someone who has admitted to being one anyway.

godfather
23-07-2002, 09:01 PM
traffic lights....no problem...let me see....oh yes, red is on the TOP

seriously though, a red traffic light looks red. A green one looks closer to white. Grass is...grass, if its green or brown I wouldn't know, brown could be a darker green for all I know.

Purple looks like blue, sometimes with a "flourescent" quality that will alert me to the idea its not blue.

Yellow looks like yellow, unless its a lime green when it looks like yellow..

I cannot recognise the colours, I have no idea what they are meant to look like but they are different to each other.

Liken it to being with someone speaking erdu,they are talking, the words sound different but you cannot recognise them..(or reading this forum some times...)

If you want a laugh, I am also fully qualified in colour tv......(but never worked in the field)

Shroeder
23-07-2002, 10:30 PM
Thanks Elwin

They are now on the site (I've even put them in as links that pop-up)

:D

Shroeder
23-07-2002, 10:33 PM
Good comments. thanks Susan

I will work on the spaces at my next opportunity (which could now be days away!)

&

I will check with the *contacts* about spam avoidance.

Some images will come later (but really would like to limit them to pictures of the kids succeeding)

Elwin Way
23-07-2002, 10:49 PM
Cool.

However the scripts are unnecessary, and weigh things down. Don't spoil the 'cleanliness'!

Suggestion:
Replace elsdon (#) with elsdon (elsdon.html) Much tidier, doesn't stretch the images out of proportion, and works across all platforms. :)

Ain't this fun! :D

Shroeder
24-07-2002, 09:48 AM
Great, thanks - I'll give it a go

Learn something new every day :)