PDA

View Full Version : Faulty mouse?

Polk
21-07-2002, 02:11 PM
Whenever i click the left button on my mouse i get the right click menu, however when i click the right button also get the right click menu. I can fix this by randomly right clicking all over my screen. Is this a problem with my mouse or my OS, computer etc?

This is a real annyoance as it happens nearly every 10-15mins or so.
I think it may be a problem with the video card drivers...but updating them IS NOT an option....dont ask. My card is fairly new anyway.

Windows 98
Intel Celeron 433MHz
192meg RAM
3d prophet 4000XT

Peter H
21-07-2002, 02:19 PM
What type of mouse? Tried - my computer- control panel-Mouse settings?
Bye

vk_dre
21-07-2002, 02:21 PM
it could be a loose conection in the mouse,but it could also be the way the mouse has been setup and how it has been configured. go to control panel and go to the "mouse" folder and check the properties of ur mouse like how often u have to click the mouse to open files and the sensitivity test. hope that helped.

cheers,
v.K-------- :D

bmason
21-07-2002, 02:44 PM
It happens occasionally on my current machine (only in windows), my old machine (win95), and a lot of other machines I've used, it doesn't seem to be related to the mouse, my guess is its a windows bug.

Although I've never heard of it happening that frequently.

Heather P
21-07-2002, 05:45 PM
> It happens occasionally on my current machine (only
> in windows), my old machine (win95), and a lot of
> other machines I've used....

This is a little unclear. Have you used the SAME mouse on all these machines?? If so, try a new mouse. They DO wear out! It sounds a bit like there could be a faulty wire.

Elwin Way
21-07-2002, 09:01 PM
Mouses that are used a lot tend to get frayed wires at the mouse end. If one wire it touching another, this can cause problems such as you describe. Remedy: get another mouse.

Since you describe the problem as being persistent across machines, I would say that either youhave the wrong driver installed on all machines or it is the problem described above.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can pull the mouse to bits and look for a short circuit.

Polk
22-07-2002, 05:08 PM
Well this mouse came with the computer and is 3 years old at least so as none of you have pointed out any bugs i need to fix i presume that it is a faulty mouse...and recommendations for a new one? under $100 please(and i aint gonna order it online!).

Peter H
22-07-2002, 05:21 PM
MS optical intelli - I have found very good with no problems.
Bye

cadifan
22-07-2002, 05:24 PM
Try TradeMe (http://www.trademe.co.nz)

What's wrong with ordering on-line? ?:| I do it all the time! B-)

Polk
22-07-2002, 05:25 PM
no credit card...i can bearly trust my self with eftpos, who knows what would happen if i spent money i dont have!

Elwin Way
22-07-2002, 05:27 PM
I bought a cheapo Genica scroll mouse from warehouse stationary for $12 new. Needed a mod for it to work properly (not hard to to - requires a screwdriver and a sharp knife -I can supply instructions)

Otherwise fine.

tweak\'e
22-07-2002, 05:40 PM
15-20 $$ for ps2 scroll mouse any computer shop or tech will have one.

Heather P
22-07-2002, 07:02 PM
I bought an el cheapo, colourful mouse from Warehouse Stationery. Didn't last long. The cheap plastic case had rough edges where the wire came out and broke them. A small point to watch for.

bmason
23-07-2002, 01:26 PM
> This is a little unclear. Have you used the SAME
> mouse on all these machines?? If so, try a new mouse.
> They DO wear out! It sounds a bit like there could be
> a faulty wire.

No, different mice ranging from $20 mitsumi/logitech/genius serial ones through to my current PS/2 intellimouse regardless of age.

It only happens in windows and usually only when clicking on the desktop.

It doesn't happen very often.

Graham L
23-07-2002, 05:58 PM
Try not wearing mittens. ;-) Linux has an option to make a two-button mouse emulate a three-button one, but not one to emulate a one-button (Apple Mac) mouse.