PDA

View Full Version : Laptop to Desktop Connection

Poppa John
21-07-2002, 12:34 AM
My computer is on Xtra, & running on XP. One phoneline into the house, a jackpoint inthe living room, another at the side of my bed, from the bedside is an extension cord over to the other side of the bedroom to my computer. Ok so far? My Chinese Homestay Student has a Laptop.on XP Pro. He wants to connect to Slingshot at $50/3months, also to put another jack in his bedroom. This seems dumb to me!. Why not tap into my computer & Xtra which will cost him nothing. My old W98se computer is in his bedroom but not net-worked.
So, 1) If I am on Xtra can he log onto Slingshot, & vice versa? I know that if either is ISP connected, the phone will not work.
2) If the XP m/c & the W98se m/c were networked, could both of us be on Xtra at the same time?
3) If the answer to 2) is Yes, what do we need to do to connect his Chinese Language Laptop to the Net? Connect it thro the W98? Or what?
4) We want to be able for him to send & recieve E-mails to/from China without one of us interfering with the other, & for both of us to be able to be on the Net at the same time, is this possible?
5) I dont see the point in having two ISP on the same phone line. Two phone lines & totally seperate accounts, maybe a possibility. But to me, pointless.
Any advice & suggestions Folks? I could do with a little help, not too technical Please.. Curious Poppa John. :) :)

godfather
21-07-2002, 12:56 AM
Tricky...

Xtra will not allow "relaying" so if you have the 2 computers networked, sharing 1 internet connection, and logged onto Xtra as the ISP he cannot log onto Slingshot (as he would be going via xtra servers and "relaying"). They used to allow it years ago.

As far as I know, thats the case anyway.

There is no problem if he uses webmail, he can use your Xtra access (as its going via your machine anyway)

There is no problem having a separate ISP (Slingshot) but only one can be active at a time, if he is using it you cant and vice versa as only one modem can operate at any time.

A second phone line on Telecom is $29.95 per month.

From memory you have XP, so networking and sharing an internet connection is OK, you dont say if the laptop has a network port or card.

Have you got a network adapter on your PC?

wuppo
21-07-2002, 01:04 AM
1) No - Only one modem can use the line at a time and you dial different phone numbers for the different isps, so you can only connect to one at a time.

2) Yes

3) The laptop would need an ethernet adaptor (if it doesn't have one inbuilt (your Xp machine will also need an ethernet adaptor). The two machines would then be connected via a 'crossover' cable, between the ethernet adaptors.

4) The problem with the above, is your XP machine would have to be running for the laptop to access the net. If you are both using the net at the same time, you will notice a performance drop, as you are sharing the speed of the connection.

5) If he is considering spending the money on an additional phone line and isp account, maybe you could convince him to pay for Jetstream instead, where you could both get much better speeds than a shared dialup connection, and still be able to use the phone line for voice calls.

Poppa John
21-07-2002, 03:57 PM
Goddie, Re para 1, Tricky. Dont want to hear that word!!
Paras 1&2 Understood Para 3, Can you enlarge on "webmail" do you mean MSN for example? Para5 Slingshot ISP understood. Para 6, Ok but un-neccesary expense. Para 7, Dont know, can we "ask" laptop what it has got? Para 8, I think so. can we "ask" the Desktop?

Wuupo, Re Paras 1 & 2 understood. Para 3, How can I tell if Laptop & Desktop have Ethernet already fitted, or not? Can we "ask" them? "Crossover" connecting cable would need to be long enough to connect to each computer in each bedroom, Yes/No?. What sort of cable & connectors? Para 4, understood. Para 5, I hear what you are saying & is wishful thinking on Pension, I just could not afford it, the monthly cost + setup costs. "I am alright Jack, why should I pay more" I don't mean that of course. It costs his Parents a small fortune to put him thro Manukau Tech & University in NZ I am trying to keep his costs down. He could be with me 2 months or a year, or even the whole 5 years, who knows!!. May not be cost effective eh? Worrying Poppa John :) :)

wuppo
21-07-2002, 06:58 PM
Ethernet adaptors have a socket (known as an RJ-45) that looks like a large version of the connector that a modem has. It is about the same size as a regular phone socket (BT connector)and has 8 contacts. On a PC you may have one above the USB sockets (if there is an onboard ethernet adaptor), on one of the card slot mounts.
To check is windows is aware of one - in XP: press the Windows + Pause keys together to bring up System Properties, select Hardware, Device Manager, expand the 'Network adaptors', and see if you have any hardware that mentions 'ethernet'.

The cable to connect two ethernet devices has fairly rigid specifications, commonly referred to as Cat5, Cat5E, or Cat6 (in order of performance). Cat5 will work fine at the current ethernet adaptor speeds over the distance you require. The cable has 4 pairs of wires that are terminated in RJ45 plugs to match the sockets above. (Strangely, only two pairs of wires are actually used). You can get 'crossover' cables pre-made from somewhere like Dick smith (http://www.dse.co.nz) (enter "crossover cable" in search box), or off Trademe (http://www.trademe.co.nz)

I know what you mean about the costs of ADSL, but if you were considering two phone lines and the costs of 2 ISP accounts, that all could be replaced with Telecom's $99 phone and ADSL package. You would also have a one off cost for an ADSL router.

Poppa John
22-07-2002, 12:46 PM
Wuppo. Have done Windows + Pause, "Network adaptors" is not on the list, what now? What is the difference between Ethernet & Network card?
Do I need both in each computer? Poppa John

wuppo
22-07-2002, 12:58 PM
Network Adaptors is the category an ethernet card would be in - if you don't show the category, you don't have the adaptor.

Network Card (or NIC - network interface card) is a generic descriptor for an adaptor. Ethernet is a standard describing the physical aspects of a network. As Ethernet is used almost exclusively as the networking medium for PCs, the terms network card and ethernet card (adaptor) are often used interchangeably. Bottom line, you only need one network adaptor in each PC - an ethernet card.

Poppa John
22-07-2002, 02:49 PM
Wuppo & Goddie. Ok so far.
Goddie, could you explain further on your Para about the Webmail? Does this mean MSN Messenger or somesuch. If Yes, then I can use OE & him MSN, yes? I believe MSN Messenger is "Allowed" to run in China. Pity one of you guys don't live in the next street!!! Poppa John ;\