PDA

View Full Version : Do I need DirectX?

Billy T
21-07-2002, 12:33 AM
And if so, is it a security hazard. ?:|

I have always kept it turned off in my browser security options and to the best of my knowledge I haven't missed it.

Should I enable it and if so, what benefits will I get that I don't currently enjoy? ;\

Conversely, what risks will I face? Right now I have reset it to prompt for approval to see what gives and it is annoying the hell out of me. It even asks me if I want to run DirectX and plugins when I open F1.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D :D (Smiling again, the AB's won)

godfather
21-07-2002, 12:42 AM
I believe it helps with identifying rogue lighting standards sneaking up.

Go to www.dse.co.nz and look for Cat No. K1303

It works on my car....one hasn't sneaked up and got me yet.

Billy T
21-07-2002, 11:08 AM
Bugger

I wish I'd known that earlier God.

I looked in the manual but couldn't find the instructions for reinstalling Windows either. Thought I might have been able to reinstall over the top of the corrupted version, restoring all damaged images but leaving the rest of the installation in its pre-standard condition.

Apparently Windows '93 doesn't support such advanced feaures so I'll have to pay for the upgrade. In the interim, I wasted a lot of time yesterday installing a "not quite see-through clone" polythene rear window.

I'm sending it off tomorrow for the full reformat job.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :( :(

PS If anybody is confused by Godfather's post or my reply, check out the Word For The Week End :D

Susan B
21-07-2002, 11:47 AM
Make sure the Windows reinstall is a clean one Billy, preferably with a reformat first. You must tell them not to install DOS (Dirty Old Screen) first or the problem will just keep repeating. See Heather's new FAQ for more info.

Direct X: I have read that it is good security practice to set it to prompt rather than enable it. Trying to remove Direct X might cause a few problems as far as I can gather.

I've got mine set to prompt and only sometimes allow it. I only get prompted a couple of times per Press F1 session and the occasional other site so it's not too much of a nuisance.

If it's annoying you a lot now, just disable it again until you come across a page that won't display or work properly. Then you could try setting it to prompt to see if the page needs the Direct X and decide if the page is trustworthy enough to warrant the risk of enabling it.

tweak\'e
21-07-2002, 12:06 PM
directX, security hazard? car windscreens?

my head hurts :_| :_|

mmm mayby you can actively X the windscreen so it can be dirext X'ed to give a clear screen? ;-)

Susan B
21-07-2002, 12:22 PM
> my head hurts

Too many late nights tweak'e. ;-)

Billy, the Direct X is supposed to be for "multimedia experience" according to Microsoft: The core Windows® technology that drives high-speed multimedia and games on the PC. but I notice that their Update pages require Direct X enabled for them to work and what has that got to do with multimedia or games??

Another site explains it like this:

First released in 1996 Direct X is a set of APIs (Application Program Interface) developed by Microsoft to allow all programs to write instructions for hardware without knowing exactly what hardware is within the computer. Games which include Direct X will have the capability of utilizing multimedia and graphics accelerator features more efficiently.

I can't find the reference now, but I've read that it becomes a security issue when malicious websites have code that uses Direct X to do things behind your back, such as resetting your homepage to theirs and that kind of thing.

So if you aren't into multimedia stuff you probably won't miss much by disabling it until you need to update Windows.

Billy T
21-07-2002, 01:04 PM
Thanks Susan

I'm not into multimedia to that extent and the only games I have are the simple jobbies that come with Windows. I do have Flight Sim but haven't had time to install it yet so DirectX can wait till something cries out for it. I gave up on Macromedia's Flash as well as I couldn't get that to download and install no matter what I did.

Oh well, back to the grind. Another Sunday in the office, perhaps I should have taken up holy-rolling as a profession, then I could have worked Sundays and had the week off!

On reflection, perhaps not. With my luck I probably would have been assigned to the AK47 toting chapter and had to renounce the pleasures of the flesh (whatever they are, my memory grows dim).

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :( :(

-=JM=-
21-07-2002, 09:08 PM
me thinks some one is getting confused with Active X. ;)

Billy T
21-07-2002, 10:15 PM
Hmmmm...........

Well I never, you are an observant chappie JM. You are right of course, it was ActiveX that was bugging me.

I plead old age, poor eyesight, addled brain and terminal overwork, but having pleaded, I return to the moot: do I need Active X?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

tweak\'e
21-07-2002, 11:06 PM
yes and no. some sites use activeX. try it with activeX set to prompt.