PDA

View Full Version : tttt Deceased Monitor tttt

grandad w
20-07-2002, 06:08 PM
My " Gateway " 17" monitor recently passed away. :(
Large Quantities of panic as a report was required urgently.But!!the Computer package set up is under a 3 year warranty Hooray!!! :-)

Gateway's response Sorry Sir your if you purchased your unit before Jan2000 the monitor is only guaranteed for 12 months. :-(

For $605 GST Inc. we can ship one to you it will take about 3-4 weeks and have a warranty of 2WEEKS!!! :O

Help!!!! Friends to the rescue found a Philips monitor $438.75 GST Inc Ex Stock 3 YEAR !!!! guarantee :-)

Is it of any use to a DIY expert in Christchurch ? If Not where should I dispose of it? ?:|

Suggestions would be appreciated :D
:x

Grandad W.

vk_dre
20-07-2002, 06:22 PM
i read in consumer magazine that tv sets r supposed to last for at least

5yrs, if they r looked after properly and used mainly for viewing and not

other things like an anger management tool. thus i deduce that

computer screens r also under the same category as tv sets so if u have

looked after it properly u will still be under the consumer guarantees act

even if the warranty has run out. and u should be able to get a

replacment for free from the company that u bought it from or they

should get it fixed for free and give it back to u. BUT only if it isn't 5+yrs

old. hope that helped.

cheers,
v.K--------- :D

E.ric
20-07-2002, 07:37 PM
When you say "past away" what exactly are the symptoms?

If fire & smoke came from it, then I think you should save it for rubbish day.

But if it will not turn on, you never know, A repair could be cheaper than you think, (if you go to the right place)

Heather P
20-07-2002, 09:21 PM
Also... don't give it the grandchildren to see if they can fix it. They retain voltage and can zap you.

Repairmen are:
a. trained to avoid the zaps and
b. paid to be zapped.

grandad w
20-07-2002, 09:23 PM
I don't think it died in its sleep I had been away from it for some hours when I left the fish were happily swimming around.:-)

On returning it had gone all black
and the L E D light was blinking at me.;-)

We disconnected it from the computer to make sure it was not a programme fault .

Unfortunately Gateway have gone off shore so trying to pursue them is probably not worth the hassle :_|

If some DIY Expert can see any value for spare bits they would be welcome to get in touch here.

G.W.

Elwin Way
20-07-2002, 09:58 PM
They make good fish tanks...

Chuck some water over it (outside!) to get rid of any nasty residual voltages. These are usually found lurking in large CAPS . (A CAP in this case is a capacitator identified by a metallic cylinder with either a wire coming out each end or 2 wires coming out one end.) The bigger the CAP, the nastier the lurker.

With that done, carefully unscrew all the screws you can find, and pull it to as many bits as possible - even if you have to use a hammer. In the end, you will only need :

The tube
The plastic outside bits
and the thing that hold the tube to the outside bits.

Once you've stripped it out, take it to a glass shop and ask them (very very nicely - mention lots of beer) to take the top off, and round the edges off (so the fish dont cut themselves!) Don't forget to tell them that there is a HUGE VACCUUM inside the tube and they should be careful not to let it out by accident because the HUGE VACCUUM will try and break the tube, and any other glass that may be in the vincinity. It does this cos the HUGE VACCUUM is pissed off at being cooped up and having cathode rays shot up it's <CENCORED> hole for the last few years.

Once you get your tube safely home, and the Glass Shop Boys have stopped chasing you for not giving them lots of beer, you can clean the gunk off the inside of the tube. This gunk is highly radioactive and should be handled with extreme caution!

Best way to do this is chuck a rag or two in, followed by some petrol (or other flammable product) and setting it on fire. Don't let the fire get too hot or it will melt the tube. Have a hose handy to put out the curtains.

You will then need a litre of acid, 500mls of clorine bleach and a large pot scrubber to clean the tube to shiny clear. Scrub, scrub again, and then scrub some more. By this time you should be getting a little tired of the whole idea. When this happens, it means you have scrubbed enough. Give the tube a final rinse and dry. Try and find all the bits you chucked before to reassemble the whole thing to resemble a monitor.

Get a large hammer and smash the top of the plastic outside bit. Make sure you start in the middle where the vents are because they break off easy.

Get som water and fish and put them in the tube. Watch them swim.

Note - don't forget, never plug your monitor in after doing this. Your fish won't appreciate it!

Alternatively, you can get a picture of fish, or Hawaii, or whatever, and stick it to the front of the monitor. If you do it good enough, people with think it is a really flash screensaver. Then you can sell your monitor for $50. Yep, there are people out there who will be quite willing to buy a 17" monitor for $50!

QED

:D

E.ric
20-07-2002, 10:05 PM
Yes I have not reached my full potential yet, I just need a few more zaps.

What's with this "repairman" could it be that the trade has undermined the industry using "labor", I think customers should make a issue of this as false claims on their invoice and say "what did you do? Bang if with the back of the screwdriver for a hour until the fault went away." I would like to see any service person repair anything using entire "labor" content and nothing else, most would not get far.

Susan B
20-07-2002, 10:37 PM
ROTFLMAO Elwin! That's a really good one. :D

Do think you should have added a disclaimer though - there just might be people (read: idiots) here who would actually go and try that stuff now, you know.....

Elwin Way
21-07-2002, 01:57 AM
Susan, they would stumble at the glass shop. Tube glass is extra thick and extra tough. If you are extremely polite, you might get a simple 'piss off'.

I know about tube glass cos I admit to destroying one when I was 12... took a hammer to it. Made a lovely mess in me bedroom when it imploded ... :D

Graham L
21-07-2002, 02:52 PM
The fact the LED is flashing means that it is not necessarily terminal. But most shops charge $40-60 just to have a look.

It still has a value so you could put it into an auction. Smith's would take it (it would pay to put in a number of things in one go to cover the minimum $20 commission). It's surprising what some things go for -- a 386 with 6MB and 170Mb disk (W3.1) went for about $70 last week.

kiwibeat
22-07-2002, 11:33 AM
Sell it as is you may get a good price who knows ?