PDA

View Full Version : rebooting into second hard drive

joxer
20-07-2002, 03:21 PM
i am running windows me.i installed a second hard drive to down load linux mandrake.after inserting the installer cd i have to reboot and always end up back in c drive.how do i open my d drive to be able to reboot the installer cd into it.hope you can help thanks joxer

vk_dre
20-07-2002, 03:35 PM
u can do this quite simply by starting the computer and accesing bios by pressing the delete key just at the screen before where ur hdd and cr drives r detected, then enter the cmos setting (i think, can't remember ) then set ur first boot up hdd to the drive u want. hope that helped.

cheers,
v.K-------- :D

Graham L
20-07-2002, 03:40 PM
Is the CD booting at all?

If not, which I think is the case, you will need to use your BIOS setup to make the CD drive the first (or second) boot device, before the hard disk. Once you have the installer started, it will know how to handle things from there on.

If your computer is old enough that it can't boot from a CD, there is "probably" a way to make a bootable floppy which will install Linux for you. Have a look at the README, etc files on the CD. It will be accessible from Windows.

vk_dre
20-07-2002, 04:31 PM
yeah, sorry i jumped the gun u would first have to set the cd to the first boot up divice if u wanted to boot from the cd.

cheers,
v.K-------- :D