PDA

View Full Version : How to tell the difference between IDE cable types?

Scotty D
20-07-2002, 10:29 AM
How do you tell which is ATA 66 or 100 or UDMA or not at all? How many types are there? Could I have OS (XP) problems if I used the wrong cable?

Colour coded? Blue=m/b? grey=primary MAster? maybe?

CAble select = primary master at the end?

Cheers

Always a shaded area.

Mike
20-07-2002, 12:31 PM
> How do you tell which is ATA 66 or 100 or UDMA or not
> at all? How many types are there? Could I have OS
> (XP) problems if I used the wrong cable?

there are two types of cable - 40 wire and 80 wire. 40 wire I think restricts you to ata33, and 80wire lets you run the others. Using the wrong cable will just slow down data transfers - won't give OS problems.

> Colour coded? Blue=m/b? grey=primary MAster?
> maybe?

the colour coding is just to tell you which plug to put into where - shouldn't actually make any difference if they go in the other way around - never has for me anyway.

> CAble select = primary master at the end?

I believe so.

HTH

Mike.

Graham L
20-07-2002, 02:51 PM
There are three types. (I am assuming that CS is no longer used with the fast IDE 80 wire cables).

If the drives are set for CS ("cable select", you must have a cable with one wire cut after the first drive connector (wire 20 from memory). That is, there are 40 wires going from the motherboard connector to the first drive connector, and 39 wires between the drive connectors. I think that the convention is that same as that for floppies --- the connector at the end is for the first drive, the intermediate one for the second. If the device selection is between MA/SL, the connector order does not matter. There is a theoretical reason for using the very end connector for a single drive, but it "probably" wouldn't matter.

BIFF
20-07-2002, 05:02 PM
Cable select has been improved in the ATA66/100/133 standard (actually seems to work!). :) Now the master is the middle connector.