PDA

View Full Version : 3D modelling

Mucous
19-07-2002, 09:06 PM
My yr11 daughter is seeking a program ( Free or share ware?) to assist her in a graphics assignment. Needs to be basic enough for newbies ( I cant help her!), needs to make basic 3D shapes, but simplicity is the order of the day.

Anyone have any suggestions pls.

Sam H
19-07-2002, 09:24 PM
Hi there Mucous,

I think you should have a look at this link, I use this program for my graphics, It is very simple to learn and is free, I think there is a download somewhere on the site.

We got given it at school to use, I'm not too sure if the school paid anything for it but it did come with unlimited licenses meaning they could burn copies and give it to all us students.

Check it out, I was just looking now and there is only the express version for download.

PTC ProDesktop (http://www.ptc.com/products/desktop/index.htm)

Regards
Sam

godfather
19-07-2002, 09:30 PM
One of the PC mags (dont know which, try PC Authority, PC World, PC Format, APC?) had a freebee on their cover CD, fully working version.

Try all their websites to track it down?

-=JM=-
19-07-2002, 09:44 PM
Go here (http://www.discreet.com/index-nf.html) and get Gmax which is completely free.

Elwin Way
19-07-2002, 11:18 PM
Cripes! When I was that age we used pencil, paper, and a ruler! Oh, and an imagination...

mejobloggs
19-07-2002, 11:22 PM
photo modeler is the best, and its pretty simple. I dont know the site, but do a search in google. the full name for the free one is photomodeler lite.

Not sure how to spell modeler though, so spell it right when you search.

-=JM=-
20-07-2002, 07:01 PM
> Cripes! When I was that age we used pencil, paper,
> and a ruler! Oh, and an imagination...

You obviously haven't used a 3D modelling tool have you?

It's not easy and sure does require some imagination (and skill) to get a good end product.

Elwin Way
20-07-2002, 08:15 PM
Lesse.. I use Corel Dream 3D, Bryce, 3DSMax, Strata3D, ISA & ISB, amongst others. (in no particular order)

Nope, I was inferring that using a pencil and ruler on plain paper is harder to draw 3D objects and scenes than using a modeller program. But then again, everyone is different I spose. I started doing 3D when I was 10 - using a ruler/pencil/paintbrush combo (didn't have colour computers in those days), did my first hand drawn stereoscopic pic in 4th Form art which took me two days just to work out the maths of positioning the elements.

No sorry, dunno what I'm talking about.

:p

sal 
20-07-2002, 08:42 PM
reeeally...