PDA

View Full Version : automatic Internet Connection

james3k
19-07-2002, 08:16 PM
My internet is connection window keeps appearing automatically without reason, i have windows Xp if your were wondering with a amd athlon.
is there a way that i can stop the connection window from appearing automatically?

godfather
19-07-2002, 08:26 PM
Assume you mean it wants to dial for no reason?

Do you have automatic updates enabled, which would require the PC to connect to the net to access the windows update site?

Have you run adaware to check for spyware/adware which may be "phoning home"

Have you got autoupdate enabled for your antivirus software?

Jim B
19-07-2002, 09:49 PM
Check this as well

Go to ControlPanel/Networking.

Look at the menu Advanced/Dial Up Preferences.

Uncheck "Enable Autodial from Location"

james3k
20-07-2002, 10:29 AM
thank you so much Jim B that was some great advice, thank you!

Susan B
20-07-2002, 03:28 PM
Jim, would you like to write a quick FAQ on this problem? It crops up fairly regularly and I can't see it in the original FAQ list. I'm sure godfather wouldn't mind you incorporating his suggestions if you credit them to him.

I think FAQ #12a How do I stop my internet connection from trying to connect automatically? or something like that will do.

Thanks! :-)

godfather
20-07-2002, 04:36 PM
JimB's suggestion will stop it, but you really need to find out why its happening....

Just unticking the option is like turning up the car radio to drown out that funny noise, when you should first determine what it is...

Jim B
21-07-2002, 01:40 AM
Susan, that might not go down very well with some people here.
I am an Apple Mac man, I only use MS when I am forced to, not by choice.
As for doing a FAQ for a PC forum that is written on a Mac, might be better if it is done by someone else. :-)

*Sparky*
21-07-2002, 03:49 AM
> Susan, that might not go down very well with some
> people here.
> I am an Apple Mac man, I only use MS when I am
> forced to, not by choice.
> As for doing a FAQ for a PC forum that is written on
> a Mac, might be better if it is done by someone else.
> :-)

ie. No?

Susan B
21-07-2002, 09:37 AM
Jim, that's fine if you don't want to do it, just come out and say so as I'm sure godfather would be pleased to (wouldn't you godfather??). At the moment though, it appears that the information actually needs verifying.

As far as being a Mac Man goes, since when have Mac users actually been unwelcome here? This is a computer help forum, even if 99% of the visitors might be PC users. Macs are still computers, as far as I'm aware.

I have no problem with you using a Mac whilst contributing PC advice, as long as that advice is correct, and in my opinion anyone here who is offended is utterly childish.

Sure, people joke about Macs and rib their users but show me where on this page/forum that it actually says Mac users are not welcome.

Susan B
21-07-2002, 09:49 AM
And before the flame throwers start attacking me, yes I do know that it says PC World up at the top there, but that is a reference to the kind hosts of this site.

It also says Leave a message about your hardware, software or internet problem, with no reference whatsoever to PCs.

merlin-nz
21-07-2002, 10:02 AM
Hi Susan,
I agree with you 100%,
PC I thought stood for Personal Computer, and the last time I heard a Mac is still a Personal Computer.

So you can all flame throw me to, if u like i don't care.

cheers merlin-nz. ;)

Susan B
21-07-2002, 10:16 AM
Thanks merlin.

You are right, PC does stand for Personal Computer but that is widely accepted as a definition for IBM clones, which exclude Macs.

So there are PCs and there Macs, but they are both still computers.

Jim B
21-07-2002, 10:49 AM
"Macs are still computers, as far as I'm aware".
That I can verify Susan, they are the best.

Hey I was not being serious, just having some fun to see who had a sense of humour here.
As you say it is a computer forum and it is just happens I guess that most of the problems seem to be with Win systems. :-)

I was just pointing out in rather a vague way it might be better for a Windows user to do it, someone who is using XP and can verify and test the fix, although I have had more than one person who has solved the problem by that instruction.
I will let godfather pick it up as he has the power.

I could run Win XP on my Mac using Virtual PC but can't justify buying it at the moment.
To be able to switch between Win and Mac systems at will on a Mac is something to behold.