PDA

View Full Version : A Tweak that went wrong...

Craig Bellhouse
19-07-2002, 08:26 PM
Last nite I was playing around with Xteq System's X-Setup utility, and I have accidentally disabled the ability of my user to modify the desktop background picture settings. I made a large number of changes without backing up the registry (of course), and I rather would like to be able to change this again.

Does anyone know where I can find the settings either in X-Setup, or straight registry keys (I am familiar with editing the registry <one would have thought I would have known better>)

Help would be much appreciated, oh and please don't suggest I use either IE or MS Paint to set the background, I want to do it the proper regular way....

Cheers,
Craig.

Marty2001
19-07-2002, 08:32 PM
Here are some keys where it might be:
User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\
Explorer]
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\
Explorer]
http://www.adventive.com/lists/iwinsoft/registry_hacks.html

Craig Bellhouse
19-07-2002, 08:46 PM
Cheers, I found the key. I am now able do change the wallpaper as I please.

In case anyone else wants it,

Hkey Current User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\Active Desktop\

Change or add a DWORD called "NoChangingWallpaper" to a 1 to disable the ability to change wallpaper, or to 0 to allow changes to wallpaper.

(You may ned to add the "Active Desktop" key if you want to disable the wallpaper changes)

Craig.

kiwibeat
22-07-2002, 11:44 AM
I always use Roxia GoBack its saved my PC about 40x so far in 3 months from my experiments on it lol