PDA

View Full Version : Filling in Scanned Documents

cadifan
19-07-2002, 04:36 PM
Anyone know of a good free program that will scan a document then let me fill in the required info before printing?

godfather
19-07-2002, 04:57 PM
What??

fill in the required info, please explain??

If you want to scan in a form, and then complete it, you will need some industrial strength software. I am aware of some but it required the GDP of a medium size nation to purchase, and was designed for a corporate mainframe platform...

You would need to convert all the aspects of the form to suitable text, graphic and somehow assume it would know where you want to fill it out..

All in all, no.

On the other hand you may mean something totally different?

Graham L
19-07-2002, 05:04 PM
There's a type of PDF file which can be filled in on line. Check the US tax department's web site. That would need the expensive Adobe software.

Otherwise, you could scan, save as BMP, and use MS Paint. That will give you a picture of a filled in form.

cadifan
19-07-2002, 05:06 PM
I used to have one but lost it transfering from one comp to another altho' it wasn't every good.

It's used to fill in forms or docs instead of using the old fashioned way of picking up a BIC!

Heather P
19-07-2002, 05:21 PM
Sounds like you need an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) program. Did one come with your scanner?

Alternatively, if it's a one-off, it might be faster to do a quick edit in MS Paint or similar.

godfather
19-07-2002, 05:43 PM
OCR programs tend to get "clean" text reasonably right but all fail miserably at setting up text boxes and producing a formatted form.

Thats why the huge cost for commercial form generation software based on an image. Mostly its a one off program written for each company needs.

It will work (have used it) if you scan in a document as an image (e.g.gif) and then embed it in a document as "behind text" then tab and CR to where you need to fill it in.

Trouble is the resulting file size is often horrendous, you would offend companies sending it by email that way, and if you are only printing it out you would save 1/2 hour by using a BIC!

Big John
19-07-2002, 07:56 PM
Not free but OmniForm V5 is excellent at doing just what you require. Can print the form as well or just the data entered into the form. Can do calculations on stuff that needs it. ie adding up columns of money to put the total in.

cadifan
19-07-2002, 10:16 PM
Presto Forms is the one I used to use, I remember now. Just can't remember where it is. Has to be free as it hardly gets used.

Now that I can remember the name of the program I'll have another look for it.

cadifan
19-07-2002, 10:32 PM
FOUND IT! It is Presto Forms, and I found it on one of my CD-RW's. Knew I could find it once I remembered the bloody name.

Susan B
19-07-2002, 10:51 PM
Someone else was wanting a program like that on the old forum. He had bought a scanner online and discovered afterwards that the software wouldn't work with his OS or something and he couldn't do what you want to do.

I suppose there's no point in doing a search for it and let him know about your one as he wouldn't get a notification now. I'm sure it was John somebody, maybe John W?

Oh well, glad to hear that you had a successful outcome. :-)

Bill Lester
20-07-2002, 01:52 PM
Hello Susan...and all,

Guess I have the "honour" to be the person requiring the OCR aware programme. Must confess I've gone back to the "Bic". The software provided with my Microteck Scanner would not recognise Word 2000. Seems it was OK with previous versions of Word. The only solution I have been advised is to purchase an (expensive) later version of Caere Omnipage Pro. I will follow this thread with interest !
Bill.

Susan B
20-07-2002, 02:53 PM
Ah, it was you, Bill. Just as well I didn't go off searching for "John" and scanners LOL.

I did a search for Presto and it's still available as part of a package with two other programs. Bit pricey as a substitute for a BIC though at $79.95 even if that was NZ dollars, which is probably isn't.

I found it here: [url=http://www.newsoftinc.com/products/pagemanager98g.htm[/url] in case anyone is interested.

If you were keen enough Bill, it might be worthwhile getting a second-hand copy of an earlier version of Word. But if it were me I would be writing a nice letter explaining everything to the software manufacturer and ask if they could supply you with a newer version (for free, of course).

You never know, you might get lucky. :-)

Bill Lester
20-07-2002, 05:45 PM
Not a bad idea, Susan. I'll give it a go. Nothing to lose ! The suppliers aren't interested in supplying an updated version, been down that track.:-(
Wonder where Cadifan got his Presto from. If it's a freebie you never know, our mentors may find it possible to include it on one of the upcoming CD-R's !! ;-)
Bill.

Misty
09-03-2004, 08:10 AM
It appears that Presto may be "Presto Page Manager" by NewSoft Inc - NewSoft Technology Corporation ?

Page Manager 6 costs 49.95 pounds sterling to buy. Here is the link -

http://uk.newsoft.eu.com/redir/digitaloffice_all.asp?category=review

I have version 4.00 which I think came with my scanner. You can upgrade a bit cheaper if you have at least version 4.20.

Did this search to see what there might be on Presto as I am trying to find out what the particular benefits are in using this particular program.
Tends to take me longer than most. Anyway I will keep on delving into it.
Misty
:) :)

Graham L
09-03-2004, 04:07 PM
Couldn't you just use the scanned image, load it into Paint, and add text in the appropriate places? Then save it, and print it as a picture. :D

I like quick and dirty methods. It's amazing how long it takes for the computer to save time with advanced technology. ;-)