PDA

View Full Version : save password

Desy
19-07-2002, 01:44 PM
My 'save password' is greyed out on the dial up connection .
Have to enter password for every dial up.
Any suggestions please

honeylaser
19-07-2002, 01:46 PM
what OS are you using?

Desy
19-07-2002, 02:07 PM
Thank you Windows 98.

godfather
19-07-2002, 02:16 PM
Cause:
This behavior can occur if you have installed Dial-Up Networking but client for Microsoft Networks or the client for NetWare Networks has not been installed.

How to fix it: (Instructions are for Win 95, but should be similar)

Install Client for Microsoft Networks.
Make sure you have your Windows CD on hand...you may need it to install the necessary components (unless its pre-installed in which case its on the hard drive anyway).

1) Goto Start/Settings/Control Panel and open 'Network'

2) Click the 'Add' button.

3) Double click 'Client'

4) In the 'Select Network Client' window, highlight 'Microsoft' on the left and double click 'Client for Microsft Networks' on the right and follow the instructions on the screen.

5) Before restarting you computer, goto the 'Identification' tab and fill in the fields. It does not matter what you name you computer or what values you enter into the fields, as long as they are not the default values.

6) Important After you restart you computer, you may be asked to login to windows. To avoid having to login each time, type in a username and no password. When you restart next time you will not see the login screen.

Susan B
19-07-2002, 02:51 PM
Hiya godfather,

Would you like to stake your claim to FAQ #12 When I dial-up, my dial-up dialogue doesn’t remember my password. for us please?

A quick copy and paste should do the job nicely.

Ta! :-)

godfather
19-07-2002, 03:07 PM
only if the advice works....dont have the fossil systems to test it on!!

Jim B
19-07-2002, 10:01 PM
If the things already mentioned do not fix the problem try this,

Browse to the following registry key using regedit: (WARNING: Backup the registry before proceeding!)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Network\Real Mode Net

If a value named "AutoLogon" exists:

1. Highlight it using your mouse.

2. Then press the delete key on your keyboard.

3. Exit regedit.

4. Restart Windows.

Desy
20-07-2002, 10:01 AM
Thanks for reply. It works fine. Desy

Susan B
20-07-2002, 03:03 PM
Glad to hear that your problem is solved Desy, but could you tell us what you did that worked so that godfather or someone can make a FAQ?

It's quite important so that others can be helped in future.

Thanks. :-)