PDA

View Full Version : Computer will sometimes not restart

stephenj
19-07-2002, 10:16 AM
Hi. hope someone can help with the following problem I have been experiencing for the last few months.
When I started my computer this morning a message came up saying the computer was having some kind of haemmorhage and would need to be restarted to correct the problem. At the bottom of the message a Technical Information report said:
STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0XFC58CB5F, 0XFC90F890, 0XFC90F590). This has happened around ten time over the last few months. Usually I can restart in safe mode then restart and all ok. Twice I have had to use system restore. Today is the first time I have noted the Tech Info and sought help. (worried that one day I might not get back in at all). Running win XP -upgraded from ME around four months ago.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers Steve

godfather
19-07-2002, 12:49 PM
You may need to advise what hardware you have to allow others to comment on possibilities.

Also did you do a clean install of XP or install over the top of ME?

What peripherals (printer, scanner etc) have you got and have you downloaded the XP drivers for them.

The more details the better

kiwibeat
19-07-2002, 02:30 PM
try reinstalling your graphics drivers that helps sometimes I also use goback so dont have to worry too much about problems like yours although my 98 sec edition is far from perfect too many installations of weird software in the past ,lol,I reccommend you run norton utils thru it or Fixit then when its fixed defragment your hard drive .
I personally use
Diskeeper its the best out there for defragging a HDD fast and doesnt upset goback like norton s speed disk does . If you need any more advice or help welcome to contact me tennnisplayer43@hotmail.com

kiwibeat
19-07-2002, 02:32 PM
welcome to contact me tennisplayer43@hotmail.com i meant

zeroprospects
19-07-2002, 03:43 PM
You know what, I sometimes get a similar problem, blue screen and all that. To fix it, I turn the computer off at the wall for a couple of seconds, then on again and press the power button. Aparently, these modern computers have a small current flowing even when then computer is "off'. This is how 'hibernate' or 'sleep' power management functions.
Try it and see :)

mark c
20-07-2002, 09:26 AM
Any funny stuff on my comp. and I go into Safe Mode and run the maintenance wiz (win98se) and then re-boot. Still wonky I run Ad-Aware and Norton Clean Sweep. I guess in terms of expertise it's a bit like running your car thru a car-wash when you got problems but hey this little machine runs fine. Try a thorough ScanDisk maybe, takes over an hour but... :)