PDA

View Full Version : Open Office org has a STING in the tail

IanS
18-07-2002, 02:51 PM
When I looked at the July free CD I thought that the Open Office org pgm might be useful. I discussed it with my technical adviser and he said "install it and if you dont like it just remove it". I installed it and found that it was not easy to use and had heaps of frills that I did not want so I removed it. I was not until after I had removed it that I realised that the Open Office pgm had changed everything on the computer to its "XML format", that the key file in Open Office that was required to open my files(soffice.exe) had been removed with the pgm so I could not open anything!! I was up the creek without a paddle! We overcame the problem by installing an old MS Works pgm which restored my files back to square one. I am secretary of a local organisation and I often send newsletters etc to members as an ATTACHMENT to an Email. If I was still using Open Office the attachment would be in XML format and therefore recipients who were not using XML (that would be most of them) would be unable to open the attachment. Yes, Open Office has a nasty sting in its tail!!

ctonks
18-07-2002, 03:05 PM
Im not too sure exactly what you mean by it changed everything on the computer to its XML format..

Im assuming you mean sxw which is the Open/Star Office default text document type just like doc is Microsoft Words.

You specify when you first install Openoffice whether you would like it to be the default application for your other office file types such as MS Word Docs and Excel spreadsheets. I'm assuming that since you removed it - it hasnt reverted back to its old settings.

You can change these in windows explorer (depending on your windows version it is probably under tools -> folder options then on the file types tab.)

If you had a problem with Openoffice sending the documents you are writing as sxw email attachments you should have saved the document as a MS word document before trying to send it.

I find OpenOffice to be very clean and intuitive - but since most people are used to MS Word they generally have a few difficulties finding their way around the office suite.

Graham L
18-07-2002, 03:25 PM
Ian: what caught you was the assumption that "everything works like Microsoft". Everything doesn't. Sorry. :_| Some things work better. ;-) But they are different .

nzStan
18-07-2002, 05:36 PM
All I can say is I installed both Open and Star Office. You are right, it's not the same as Office and it does take longer to load in Windows compared to Office.

BUT, I could save file in StarWrite format, OR I could set the default save file as Word2000.DOC format. I guess you chose XML as your default save.

You do have choices;

1. Continue with MS Office which you have already paid for but will be expensive to upgrade in the future

or

2. Use free Open Office or USD$75 Star Office which can save files in Office 97/2000 or XP format.

As a veteran Office user, I've been using Star Office for about a month now with only minor problems.

Shortstop
18-07-2002, 09:25 PM
Yeah, Ian S. I had the same nasty experience you did - after uninstalling Open Office org couldn't open any Word files. Put it down to experience(or inexperience more accurately) and thanked God as System Restore did its mysterious work to take us back to before I installed OOo. Whew!
Pity, because it has lots of interesting features.

Elwin Way
18-07-2002, 09:41 PM
A classic example of Always Read The Instructions.

Actually, being a web site engineer, I find the XML feature rather handy!

OpenOffice has stayed on my pooter...

JohnD
18-07-2002, 10:50 PM
OpenOffice and StarOffice are great - they enable me to use Linux as my OS at home and Win2k at work with a Zip disk in between!

IanS
19-07-2002, 08:28 PM
Thanks to all for comments
To ctonks; Thanks for helful info
To Elwin Way; As an octogenerian who has only been computerised for twelve months, sometimes I am not sure what the instructions mean.
To shortstop; It is nice to know that I have some company !

Regards IanS

Elwin Way
19-07-2002, 11:23 PM
> To Elwin Way; As an octogenerian who has only been
> computerised for twelve months, sometimes I am not
> sure what the instructions mean.

That is what we are here for.

:D