PDA

View Full Version : modem speed reads 115,000 bps

Adele
18-07-2002, 10:28 AM
How do I get my modem to display the actual connection speed. At the moment it is telling me it is 115,000bps which I know is incorrect. I am running Windows 98SE

Elwin Way
18-07-2002, 10:56 AM
How do you get that?

To get the 'currently connected' speed, hover your mouse over the blinking lights. A message will pop-up teloing you what speed you are connected to your ISP with.

However, if you want real-time speeds, then you can download a program such as DU-Meter (http://www.dumeter.com), which will show your upload and download speeds in a little graph.

Terry Porritt
18-07-2002, 11:10 AM
We really need a FAQ for this, if there isnt already one, as it's such a common question.

This arises usually when your modem is using a generic driver provided by Windows, eg it says 'Standard Modem' in your dialup connection properties, or in 'Modems' from Control Panel.

Its just telling you what the port speed is, not the actual connection speed to your ISP. If you go Control Panel-Modem-Properties, you will probably see the connection speed set to 115200.

If the modem is working ok, I shouldnt bother too much, but if you are concerned about it, then see if you can get hold of the correct drivers for your modem. Installing those will then enable the correct speed tp be displayed.

Peter Cox
18-07-2002, 07:05 PM
Hi Adele,
One way that seems to work on most modems is to type w2 in the extra settings box in advanced connection properties.
To get there go to Control Panel/modems/properties/connection/advanced type w2 in the extra settings box and the OK your way back out. Next time you go online it should report the DCE speed instead of the DTE speed.

HTH PC

Susan B
19-07-2002, 10:08 AM
> We really need a FAQ for this, if there isnt already
> one, as it's such a common question.

Would you like to do one Terry? You've got quite a bit of knowledge in this department and I think FAQ #36a would be appropriate.

Thanks! :-)