PDA

View Full Version : installing XP

Will
17-07-2002, 05:44 PM
For a person about to install Windows XP ........ should I use Fat32 or NTFS ????........... I dont want to dual boot at all either

Mike
17-07-2002, 06:24 PM
> For a person about to install Windows XP ........
> should I use Fat32 or NTFS ????........... I dont
> want to dual boot at all either

Will,

It depends on what you're using your computer for. If you need security etc. then NTFS, but if you're just wanting to play games, then Fat32. Other people will undoubtedly say there's nothing wrong with running games on NTFS, but in my experience I've had a few more slow-downs running on NTFS than on Fat32, so that's why I stick to Fat32 for games. You won't notice much difference between then two for just run-of-the-mill computer use.

Mike.

godfather
17-07-2002, 06:48 PM
If you want to network your computer with an earlier version of windows use FAT32...else the files cannot be shared

markOS X
17-07-2002, 07:08 PM
Not true.

I run a switched 10/100 ethernet network with two winXP machines (one with FAT32 the other with NTFS) and one win98se. Each pc can access shared folders on all the others with no difficulty through windows explorer and shared network drives.

The filesystem doesn't matter on the remote machine, I could (and have) had a linux box on the same network and shared files with that as well. Its the network and file permissions that typically dictate what files the remote computer can and can't see.

It is different when you have a FAT32 master and try to read data on an NTFS secondary drive.

Stick with FAT32, unless you want to run your computer as a server.

HTH,
markOS X

godfather
17-07-2002, 09:28 PM
Hmm just tried something...I can access an NTFS formatted drive from Win95 R2..so ignore my previous post and I won't believe everything I read...Thanks

Mike
20-07-2002, 08:50 AM
> Hmm just tried something...I can access an NTFS
> formatted drive from Win95 R2..so ignore my previous
> post and I won't believe everything I read...Thanks

lol you were mostly right gf. Access through a network will read them fine, due to the software used for the networking being what provides disk information rather than the OS trying to read it itself, but if you had win98 on a computer and tried to access a NTFS HDD on the same system you would not be able to.

Mike.