PDA

View Full Version : DVD Decoders

NigelP
17-07-2002, 04:43 PM
I have a Toshiba 1800 laptop running Win XP Pro. It has a DVD player which I tried to use for the first time today. Win Media player came up with a message "Compatible DVD Decoder not installed on this computer". I have checked the installation CD's and Toshiba's web site, neither have been any use. Can anyone recommend a decoder that will work in NZ that is either free or cheap? I have looked at PowerDVD but it looks a tad expensive and I am concerned about buying from the US with the various zones for DVD's.

honeylaser
17-07-2002, 05:16 PM
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think rather than software, you need a piece of hardware such as an MPEG-2 decoder card PLUS software..
You may be able to find a DVD "kit" to fit to your laptop which includes the hardware (usually set to region 4 only) + DVD player software.

Try the Laptop Company in Wellington - they may know.

honeylaser
17-07-2002, 05:20 PM
I just had a look at Tech Pacific, and they have kits listed for Toshibas ranging from $200 RRP to about $700 RRP. Depends on the exact model of laptop you have.

Graham L
17-07-2002, 05:25 PM
And the Warehouse have DVD players at $300 ... thats the benefit of real mass production.

honeylaser
17-07-2002, 05:27 PM
I think that was the moral of the story. Why have a laptop with a DVD drive and a 14" LCD screen if you can watch it on your TV for cheaper? Not to mention easier.

Mike
17-07-2002, 07:47 PM
> I have a Toshiba 1800 laptop running Win XP Pro. It
> has a DVD player which I tried to use for the first
> time today. Win Media player came up with a message
> "Compatible DVD Decoder not installed on this
> computer". I have checked the installation CD's and
> Toshiba's web site, neither have been any use. Can
> anyone recommend a decoder that will work in NZ that
> is either free or cheap? I have looked at PowerDVD
> but it looks a tad expensive and I am concerned about
> buying from the US with the various zones for DVD's.

You need a software DVD player. You should have received one with your laptop when you bought it. PowerDVD and WinDVD are by far the best around, and well worth the money (I use PowerDVD XP). The DVD zones have nothing to do with your software, so buying it from the US won't make any difference. The zone problem is hardware related - you should be allowed to play different zones 5 times before it locks on to the 5th zone you play (usually - doesn't always work like this).

There is a free add-on for WinXP Media Player that will allow you to play DVDs without a seperate software DVD player program installed, but I can't find where I found it. It might be found here.

HTH

Mike.

NigelP
19-07-2002, 09:55 AM
Thanks Mike, problem solved.

Mike
20-07-2002, 09:46 AM
> Thanks Mike, problem solved.

NP :)

Mike.