PDA

View Full Version : Linux tutorial for Windows Users

Markstnz
17-07-2002, 04:28 PM
Does anyone know of good tutorials for people who are just starting to move to Linux who have good experience in Hardware and Windows, but no experience of Linux or Unix clones. Everything I've seen either assumes you need to be told how to double-click, or assumes you have an integral knowledge of the insides of a Linux kernel.

I'm quite happy finding my way for most of it, but basic things like changing screen resolution, or updating drivers, which are second-nature in Windows, are now really frustrating.

Cheers,

Mark

JohnD
17-07-2002, 04:47 PM
I like:

http://rute.sourceforge.net/

Graham L
17-07-2002, 04:58 PM
The Linux Users' Group in Dunedin maintain a mirror of the Linux Documentation Project. You will find a lot of good documentation there.
The HOWTOs (http://dunedin.lug.net.nz/docs/ldp/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/index.html) are essential reading (you don't have to read all of them ;-) Start with DOS-Win-to-Linux-HOWTO ). Then, The Linux Cookbook (http://dunedin.lug.net.nz/docs/ldp/LDP/linuxcookbook/html/index.html).
There are a number of Guides (http://dunedin.lug.net.nz/docs/ldp/guides.html). The Linux Users Guide , and Installation and Getting Started are both very good.

Your library might have books on Linux: they are much better than the books about Windows --- they often contain information . ;-)

Markstnz
17-07-2002, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I have actually looked at that, and found that it didnt do much to actually help me get on and use Linux. I'm using either Mandrake 8.2 or Red Hat 7.2 (depending on which the urge takes me to install when I need to reinstall), and as such am doing most of my use through a GUI (either Gnome or KDE) rather than through the command line.

I guess that could be part of the problem, but ideally the tutorial would start with the GUI and add in command line options as required...

Sorry to sound like a newbie, its just that I really want to like Linux, but I'm finding its not helping itself. I've even gone to buy books, but most of them suffer from the same problems...

Graham L
17-07-2002, 05:17 PM
The problem is that a GUI hides a lot of the way things work. That would not matter, except for one thing: Linux is not Windows .

At least have a look at that DOS-Win-to-Linux HOWTO, and the Cookbook.

I won't say that Linux is easy, intuitive, or even user-friendly. It's an operating system. An effort to learn how it works is worthwhile. I'll leave the lies to MS. ]:)

Markstnz
17-07-2002, 05:25 PM
Appreciated - I just feel that basic use should be possible through a GUI, with the more advanced console line functions being introduced as required. I find as I'm reading the tutorials that nothing seems to have much relevance to my day-to-day use, and as such I dont really comprehend it.

Graham L
17-07-2002, 05:36 PM
I suppose that they have tried to make most of the basic operations "easy" in the GUI; that is, "like Windows". Maybe that's why I find the GUIs hard to use. I have never found other people's intuits to be the same as mine. But I had used a lot of command line operating systems before I came to Windows. I don't like Windows.

How many years have you been using Windows? That is the problem. If you started with that, it will always seem "the way it's done" to you. The way Linux does something may seem "wrong", even if it is done that way because "it" had been done that way for about 15 years before there was Windows.

I think you can get Themes for KDE and Gnome which will make the sceen look just like a Windows screen. But that is just the look.

Markstnz
17-07-2002, 05:43 PM
I actually was a DOS user for 5-6 years before I started using Windows, and before that was used to the command line of the Apple IIe.

I have, however, seen how much easier life can be made by a GUI for doing such functions as surfing the internet, word-processing, graphical manipulation, gaming etc - in other words what 95% of users use their machines for. In Windows, I will happily drop to the command line for anything that can be done easier in DOS, just as I will happily drop to the console in Linux as I find things which need to be done there.

However, even a basic look at Linux has shown me that I do not need to log on at the console, as Linux boots automatically to X, and gives me a graphical log on.

Why do tutorials insist on beginning with the console when this is not the first thing presented to Linux users?

Dolby Digital
17-07-2002, 06:48 PM
You mean.... Linux isn't Windows... not even Corel Linux.

Didn't Xerox begat windows many years ago.

JohnD
17-07-2002, 10:11 PM
As far as books are concerned I have two suggestions:

1. Buy a book with a reasonable up to date copy of your favourite distribution included. Work through the book - this works well since the book was written for the distribution.

2. Try "Linux for Windows Addicts - a 12 step for Habitual Windows Users" by Michael Miller (Osborne 2001). It is a well written book.

John

Gorela
18-07-2002, 12:10 AM
One book I have used is the Unlimited Edition "Red Hat Linux 7.2 Bible" by Christopher Negus. Obviously this contains a fairly comprehensive distribution of 7.2.

It starts with loading Linux and then moves on to the different interfaces. Thats the first nine chapters and after that it covers details for setting up Web services, networking and security. I have found it to be a reasonably good intro.

b1naryb0y
18-07-2002, 01:17 AM
One of the best sites I have come across for people wanting to learn linux is:

http://www.linuxnewbie.org

Has tutorials, forums etc

What I like most is just because you are a "linux newbie" it doesnt assume you are a computer newbie. What I mean by this is all the tutorials are real to life, and not the usual like "what's linux?" or "how do I install linux?", but useful things like; print server config, ipchains setup etc,..

Markstnz
18-07-2002, 10:20 AM
Excellent - that sounds really good - thanks for that...