PDA

View Full Version : ICQ privilages in XP

Iced_Excalibur
17-07-2002, 12:35 PM
I have downloaded ICQ and want it to work in a guest user setting, How can I get the Icon to keep the password when I go to it's properties, Click the shortcut tab, then te Advanced button. I then select "Run with different Credentials". It works fine, but it doesn't retain the password!
How can I get the guest user to retain that password for ICQ???
I've done the "Use the following user credentials" when runnning the desktop Icon, but it forgets the password.
Please help
Thanks
Jo

Mike
17-07-2002, 07:39 PM
> I have downloaded ICQ and want it to work in a guest
> user setting, How can I get the Icon to keep the
> password when I go to it's properties, Click the
> shortcut tab, then te Advanced button. I then select
> "Run with different Credentials". It works fine, but
> it doesn't retain the password!
> How can I get the guest user to retain that password
> for ICQ???
> I've done the "Use the following user credentials"
> when runnning the desktop Icon, but it forgets the
> password.
> Please help
> Thanks
> Jo

Jo,

What password are you wanting it to save? The ICQ password is not generally saved unless you set low security settings in ICQ, not in the Windows shortcut.

Mike.

J ZEP
17-07-2002, 08:09 PM
>1 Jo What password are you wanting it to save? The ICQ password is not generally saved unless you set low security settings in ICQ, not in the Windows shortcut. Mike.

I am wondering if what you mean perhaps, as in the password - As I like mike was a little unsure which password you meant - Do you mean that as you are logging on in the guest account (you have limited rights as a non administrator acc.) when you do this and try to run a program it prompts you to run it under an administrator acc. and you must put the password in and run it under that accounts rights? Is it this password you mean you cannot save? Or an actual i.c.q password?
Sorry if i have gone down the wrong path - could you get back to us and let us know which password you mean?

Chilling_Silence
19-07-2002, 11:12 AM
You were right first off, Yes, I know how to save the password (Click the "Remember Me" checkbox!!!!) As a guest, I have limited user rights, and the administrator is happy about typing in the admin password, but how can i get it to remember that admin password when running ICQ, or any other program for that matter? While trying to run with aministrative rights on a guest account, it won't remember the admin password.
Thanks
Jo

J ZEP
19-07-2002, 12:52 PM
Hi Jo - i really don't think there is anyway around this, its the way the Guest account and non administrator accounts are set up for security reasons - the only way to get around it would be get the owner to let you set up an admin account - My nephew has a non admin account and still has to do this to access programs(we put in the password) (which is exaxtly how we want it!). However when it comes to his game downloads etc... i move them to shared documents and he has access without a password - so maybe if you did this it may work - remembering of course he uses a non admin acc. not the guest account.
Also on NTFS setups you can set permissions but i don't know if it goes as far as the guest account.
So as i say i think the best bet would be see if you can set up a admin account on the computer. Somebody may be able to advise you better on this but with the guest account i am pretty sure its limited in that way!
I will do some digging around and if i come up with anything i will let you know. :-( Sorry i haven't been much help!