PDA

View Full Version : old school dos games with xp

ffff
16-07-2002, 12:01 PM
i cant get any older games like worms or skyroads to run in xp.
is there any software that can be used to make them run with xp pro

xp 1800
768 sd ram
gf4 64 ddr ram
20gb drive

Graham L
16-07-2002, 02:24 PM
Yes, there is some very well-known software which can run these games.
It's called ....

DOS . ]:)
I believe that DRDos is available free, if not, there is freeDOS. Or you could use a W9x install disk to boot DOS.

godfather
16-07-2002, 04:46 PM
Doesn't it make us seem...well....old?
I mean "what program will run DOS games"?
How long till we see..."what program can I use to run my 64 bit windows games, and how can I read a funny thing like a coaster on my biotron data reader"

ffff
16-07-2002, 05:59 PM
yes i realise i could use a boot disk to boot to dos, but thats a hassle and i wanted to know if there was anything that would run dos games in windows xp like a windows emulator or something

godfather
16-07-2002, 06:12 PM
>if there was anything that would run dos games in windows xp like
> a windows emulator or something

Yes, its called the XP DOS emulator, that you are "trying" to run it in now.

XP does not have a DOS core, it has an emulator.

One of the main problems will be the free memory below 640k, which gets squeezed in any emulator, and probably leaves insufficient for the game to run. The only solution will be to boot to minimalistic DOS on a floppy, with drivers for the game. Another problem is that some of the later graphix cards may not support older VESA based requirements.

Graham L
16-07-2002, 06:15 PM
The main hassle would be the time it takes to shut Windows down, not the few seconds it takes to boot DOS. ;-) But it's getting ridioculous if we need a Windows emulator to run under Windows to be able to open a DOS window ...

However, it might be coming. There is the "Bochs" (and I know I've mispelt it --- it's cleverly spelt) emulator, which will probably have a version to run under XP sometime.

BIFF
16-07-2002, 07:22 PM
Have a nosey at a product called VMWare. On a machine like that you could run about 5 copies of DOS at full speed.

www.vmware.com

buzzybee
16-07-2002, 07:57 PM
SOLUTION!
Get someone to pay you to take their old 386 away for them (it will save them dumping fees!) and play your heart out!

godfather
16-07-2002, 10:11 PM
Even better, you might get lucky and score a 486..whooopeee

LordXP
07-11-2003, 03:50 PM
I scored a 486 for $12
Yay!
But no sound!!!

mark.p
07-11-2003, 03:59 PM
well done. If you want MS Dos 7.10 , try here-http://newdos.yginfo.net/msdos71.htm

Who said dos was obsolete and useless ;).............

Susan B
07-11-2003, 07:33 PM
Well someone posted on here ages ago about wanting to play Sam and Max (a DOS game) on Win XP and he had success in doing so with the help of this site (http://quick.mixnmojo.com/). Don't know if it is of any use to you but have a look anyway. :-)

Susan B
07-11-2003, 07:37 PM
Sees warning about thread being more than a month old
Oh what the hell am I doing?! :O

This thread was originally posted ages ago -- I have had way too much wine!! :p :D

PoWa
07-11-2003, 08:40 PM
Hmmm it is a little old.

But its a cinch getting DOS games running in XP. You navigate to the install folder inside a command prompt, and type in the .exe and it should run fine. If you get clever you can make a batch file to open the game for you.

I can't believe the number of people that moan about going back to Win98 for compatibility with games etc. Its soo easy to get any game running.

mejobloggs
07-11-2003, 09:15 PM
I got sam and max going on XP!

Works great.

Dunno when this happened, but I can now no longer use the XP emulator thing. I can start all my dos games, but after 10 seconds or so, it locks up.

Dont think it has anything to do with Quick and Easy, because I think thats the reason I tried it.

mmm.

Jeff
07-11-2003, 09:55 PM
You can try DOSBox, a MSDOS emulator. Its free.

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

Jeff.

LordXP
08-11-2003, 09:30 AM
i can play DOS games on my XP PC but it freezes on the first graphics eg. the title screen.