PDA

View Full Version : Word 2000

kaimaumau
15-07-2002, 11:06 PM
In my version of Word 2000 in the Insert/Date and Time settings the date format 15/07/2002 is the permanently set format. The format I want as the permanent format, 15 July 2002, is now number three in the list - how do I change it to become the permanent format? If I set my required format as the default setting it only stays as that while Word is open.

Rod J
15-07-2002, 11:55 PM
Yes, I see the problem. The setting definitely doesn't 'stick' if you close Word and then restart it. Interesting. I don't have a solution yet, but maybe some Word guru will know it. BTW, try doing a search on this site using "Word date format". I did, and came up with a lot of pages to search. But as I said, I haven't got the answer yet.

Capt Jimbo
16-07-2002, 01:58 PM
Have you tried changing the Time/date format in Control Panel/Regional Settings. I don't know if this affects word or not but it does make a difference with excel.

Capt Jimbo

godfather
16-07-2002, 02:21 PM
Word XP setting is "sticky" when default is used.

I assume that you are making this change as an edit change to "normal.dot" which is the default template??

While I cannot check that it will cure it, it will probably never save it as a default any other way?.

Rod J
16-07-2002, 10:32 PM
No, Word 2000 default is definitely not 'sticky' between sessions unfortunately. What I could suggest as a workaround is to record a macro that selects the correct format and use that instead.

wuppo
16-07-2002, 11:24 PM
If you select the format you want and click the default button, the change is recorded. Use SHIFT+ALT+D to enter the date into your document.
If you go back into Insert / Date and Time, the first entry in the list will be highlighted, although it is not necessarily the default!

More intuitive software from Bill :D

Rod J
17-07-2002, 01:50 PM
Yes, that works fine for me. How intuitive, I wonder how I didn't see it before! ;\ ;)

Thanks Wuppo :)

Peter Cox
17-07-2002, 01:56 PM
Hi,
The answer to your basic question is, you can't. Thr following was extracted from MS knowledge base article Q220434.

SYMPTOMS
========

When you set a default date and/or time format (on the Insert menu, click Date
and Time and then click Default) and then you change languages (on the Tools
menu, point to Language and then click Set Language), the default date and/or
time you set is not selected when you again choose Date and Time (on the Insert
menu).

CAUSE
=====

This behavior is by design. When you select and set a default date format by
clicking Default (on the Insert menu, click Date and Time), the date and/or time
format you set is not automatically selected when you again display the Date and
Time dialog box. Instead, this default date and/or time format is used when
inserting a date and/or time using other Word features. For example, you can
insert a Date field (on the Insert menu, click Fields). The default format for
the Date field uses the default you set on the Date and Time dialog box.

What this means is that every time you INSERT date and time you have the choice of format and that choice remains chosen while word is loaded or until you choose some other format during the same load.
If you have autocomplete set, word will use the "default format" you have set, to complete a date entry when you start to type a date.

HTH PC