PDA

View Full Version : Adding network adapter cuts off internet access

Susan B
15-07-2002, 10:43 PM
I'm having a go at getting networked.

When I add the required NE2000 adapter in control panel's network configuration box this Win98 machine loses its internet connection.

I can dial through and connect but no data will be sent. Trying to ping results in "site not found" and pages in IE immediately come up with "page not found". It is definitely my machine and not the ISP as it makes no difference which ISP I try.

Does anyone know why this happens?

There is no network card installed at the moment. Even after uninstalling the adapter the only way to get my internet back is by restoring a registry backup.

I can't see how I'm going to set up this adapter and retain my internet connection. Any ideas appreciated.

tweak\'e
15-07-2002, 10:51 PM
had a simaler one a while ago. removeing tcp/ip then reinstalling it fixed it.

what network card have you got?

godfather
15-07-2002, 10:54 PM
Hi Susan

No magic bullet, but the commonality will likely be that both the dial-up and the NIC are network adapters from windows perspective.

What protocols are active on your dial-up adapter after installing the NIC?

It sounds like you may be missing TCP/IP, perhaps all adapters are reset after installing the NIC and need reconfiguring?

Control Panel - Network - dial-up adapter - protocols should include TCP/IP.

Note all when its going OK, see whats missing when its not.

Sorry I cant remember exact steps, XP is different (and virtually automates the process)

tech_mister
15-07-2002, 11:10 PM
Try this: Start IE go into internet options ,connections,select always dial
my default connection and press ok,restart IE and see if it works.

godfather
15-07-2002, 11:13 PM
Don't think thats the trouble tech_mister, as Susan has stated the PC dials and connects. Just doesnt transfer any data. Strongly suspect TCP/IP....

godfather
15-07-2002, 11:14 PM
Don't think thats the trouble tech_mister, as Susan has stated the PC dials and connects. Just doesnt transfer any data. Strongly suspect TCP/IP....

godfather
15-07-2002, 11:14 PM

tweak\'e
15-07-2002, 11:21 PM
good one godfather.....your one of the few who have multiposted ;-)

Susan B
15-07-2002, 11:28 PM
tweak'e: It's an "Advanced Network Product" (that's what's on the box anyway) "Ethernet E2000C plus". I thought I tried everything but uninstalling the TCP/IP wasn't one of them - sounds promising.

godfather: I normally have Steve Gibson's binding method with things bound to the NetBUI. Thus nothing is bound to the TCP/IP but I can't remember whether installing the NE2000 adapter altered this or not. I'm going to have to backup the registry a few times and have a copy on a floppy disk before I'm prepared to fiddle again.

Actually I think the new adapter included the TCP/IP protocol because the first time I tried installing the adapter I went through them all unbinding them again. Not 100% certain though.

I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions. :-)

PS How on earth did you manage to post three times?! :O

godfather
15-07-2002, 11:33 PM
Yes Susan, the new adapter may have had it, but your problem is with the (old) dial-up adapter which may have lost them. Tweak'e may be right that unistalling the TCP/IP and reinstalling may work.

Remember that TCP/IP has to be installed for EACH adapter, not just once for both.....?

And, horrors, I did not click twice, thats a real forum originated double post. Dont have a lag or anything on Jetstream..

tweak\'e
15-07-2002, 11:33 PM
small tip- disable any firewalls before removing tcp/ip. with ZA you might have to uninstall ZA first.

godfather
15-07-2002, 11:37 PM
good one tweak'e, Susan I would uninstall ZA until both your networks are running. (Dial-up and Ethernet) when you start. You have all night, I will check here at 0600 and see how you are going.

Give up the tea, change to coffee and you will make it. Hear on the news today that >3 cups of coffee a day seems to prevent alzheimers.

tech_mister
15-07-2002, 11:54 PM
> Don't think thats the trouble tech_mister, as Susan
> has stated the PC dials and connects. Just doesnt
> transfer any data. Strongly suspect TCP/IP....

Yes Godfather,thats because IE is trying to get the data from the network card and not the dialup adapter ( I think it,s a bug in win98,but I don,t really know )
However if that suggestion doesn,t work, Susan ,try reinstalling your
dialup connection,you may find it will work after that.

tweak\'e
16-07-2002, 12:11 AM
the main reason for uninstalling ZA is you will have a job trying to boot into windows if ZA is trying to run and tcp/ip is uninstalled. can't remember if it just has to be disabled at startup or uninstalled totally.

Susan B
16-07-2002, 04:52 PM
OK, thanks for the suggestions, they make sense. It probably is due to the TCP/IP not being bound to everything. Will have another fiddle later when there is peace and quiet around here.

I don't use zonealarm, I use Outpost. It was completely closed down during the process but not uninstalled. Should I uninstall it or would it be better behaved than ZA?

godfather, it's too late for me to give up tea now, it's in my blood. Got tortured last week when I ran out of supplies for 24 hours. Does Nescafe Latte Mocha almost qualify as coffee, as I drink that sometimes? *ducks flames from insulted coffee-drinking purists*

godfather
16-07-2002, 05:02 PM
I would try the installation first, looking at the protocols, with Outpost disabled. If all looks all right, and it still doesnt work, then remove?

I think the previous poster was on track when they suggested that the reason it didnt transfer data was that it was trying to use the network adapter instead of the dial-up. Makes sense if that was the only one with TCP/IP installed. You should see multiple instances of TCP/IP in the network area, one for each adapter.

Type of coffee doesnt matter, as long as it is high in caffiene

godfather
16-07-2002, 05:02 PM
Hey Susan....look at the number of posts!!

Susan B
16-07-2002, 08:53 PM
Grrrrrrrr!

You cheat though - that triple post and your above post can't really be counted.....

*Susan runs off to catch up and overtake godfather*

Biggles
17-07-2002, 09:54 AM
I had a similar problem a week or so ago when I was setting up a second PC with ADSL at my parents. One PC was up and running fine, but when I plugged the second one into the router, it refused to see the connection, despite having an identical NIC and having TCP/IP installed and bound correctly.

Eventually I simply un-installed TCP/IP and reinstalled it for the card. And that worked. Just like that. In the meantime I had remembered to disable Zone Alarm, which I'd forgotton to do when I installed drivers first time round.

So - make sure Outpost is disabled (disable and reboot with it disabled), then un-install TCP/IP and re-install, would be my guess . . .

Susan B
17-07-2002, 10:09 PM
:| :-( :_|

Thank you for your advice everyone, but I'm not getting anywhere.

Installing the hardware:
The TCP/IP protocols are enabled in both the dial-up adaptor and the network adaptor.

I have tried:

1. Installing the NE2000 plus adaptor using the Win98 drivers and got the "not properly installed" message.

2. Installing the NE2000 compatible adaptor using the Win98 drivers and got the "not properly installed" message.

3. Using the network card's (Win95) setup disk which installed the E2000plus adaptor but then got this message:

"The NDIS.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load the device drive (code2). To fix this click Update Driver to update the device driver."

I did this but then it said it already had the most suitable version.

I suspect that it is because the setup disk is for Win 95, not Win 98 (it is an old card - 10MB not 100MB). But then the Win98 version doesn't work either...

Internet connection:
The problem that I had connecting to the internet after installing the network adaptor is still occuring, no matter what I do. I tried uninstalling, rebooting then reinstalling the TCP/IP protocols like you all suggested and that didn't work. I still have to remove the adaptor and restore a previous registry before my internet will work again. :-(

Bugger bugger bugger!

*kids run away and hide as Susan B screams in frustration*

Susan B
17-07-2002, 10:14 PM
Just re-read tech_mister's suggestion of reinstalling the dialup connection - I didn't do that. Forgot to make a copy of all the suggestions and couldn't back here to read them all again.

I've had enough for tonight though so I'll have to try that another day.

Would still welcome further suggestions if anyone has got any.

godfather
17-07-2002, 10:24 PM
Is this card an old ISA slot type, with both 10 base T and 10 base 2 connectors (RJ45 and BNC)?

Many of that type needed a supplied setup disk run under DOS to assign hard/soft settings etc. Used one in a 486 once under Windows 3.11...

Susan B
17-07-2002, 10:31 PM
I don't know!

Wait a minute.... yes, you are right godfather, it is.

And I did use the setup disk in DOS to set the IRQ to 9 instead of 5 like it wanted, and the I/O to 240.

I've got two of these cards and one of them is in the 486 Win 95 machine but I haven't set that one up yet.

Graham L
18-07-2002, 04:52 PM
Susan, perhaps it's a matter of rushing at it too much. Festina lente .

This is network stuff. It's best approached a little bit at a time.

How about setting up the two machines to work as a network first?

DON'T DIAL OUT.

Get the 486 up in DOS and use the setup programme to make sure the card is set for twisted pair (not "BNC") and has a non-clashing interrupt and port address. Remember that after changing the card's settings it needs a power off and on. Try the diagnostic.

Boot up windows, and let it detect the card, and install it. Install TCP/IP and bind it to the card. You want a Microsoft Client, too. Go back to the W98 machine. I'd be inclined to set the card to P&P on that one (not sure I like address 240 --- isn't that one that sound cards like?). Again, run the diagnostic. Shut down, powerup to W98. Let it install, using the standard W98 NE2000 driver. Then make sure that you have a "Network Neighbourhood" ... that is, you can actually work as a network, accessing files, printing etc.

Then, isn't there a wizard to install the ICS ? That should do the things correctly. Assuming that all its spells have been properly checked.

BIFF
18-07-2002, 06:38 PM
Try it without a default gateway on TCP/IP on the Network Adapter.

Susan B
18-07-2002, 06:40 PM
Thanks Graham. :-)

OK, I can see your sense in getting the network up and running before the internet connection but if I can't access the internet then I'm unable to yell out for help when I get stuck or go to sites that may have more information. Then to get on the internet I have to undo everything again....

But I will do that in the weekend when I have more time to play.

Obviously I'm going wrong somewhere with the network settings if my modem won't work when the network protocols are set up. This is whether the actual card is installed or not, by the way. It's got nothing to do with the card, just Windows settings itself, not off the setup disk even.

I will do the 486 as you have described, but the Win98 doesn't appear to be plug and play with the network card. I'm pretty sure P&P is enabled in the BIOS because the CD-RW happily plugged and played. I can still install the card with the Add Hardware setup.

Will try a setting other than 240, although it did say nothing else was using that. I will look again.

When I ran diagnostic last night I did get an error message but unfortunately I didn't write it down. :-(

Regarding the ICS wizard: I have been searching the web and have just found out that ICS came in with Win98SE and I have plain Win98 so will have to try the Proxy+ like you suggested. Apparently Proxy+ is easier and better anyway.

No, I haven't been logged in while doing all this - have disabled all running programs, including Outpost firewall. And yes, I am aiming to have just a P2P LAN to begin with - won't even think about internet sharing until the LAN is working properly. Have found a few good how-to articles on the net that hopefully will have the magic trick somewhere amongst them.

I will get there!!

Susan B
18-07-2002, 06:42 PM
Sorry Biff, I'm not sure what you mean. I'm a newbie to networks.