PDA

View Full Version : How can I transfer the entire contents of my hard disk to another under DOS

Jamezo
15-07-2002, 07:57 PM
Can someone please tell me to copy all of the files and folders to another hard disk in DOS? I tried with just the COPY command, but it only copied those in the root directory. Anyone?

godfather
15-07-2002, 08:02 PM
You have to use xcopy, the 32 bit version of DOS copy

the command is:
xcopy *.* /s
note the spaces must be used as shown.

remember this is NOT a "drive image" and copying it back after having changed things can be a recipe for disaster.

For a true drive image use the appropriate software

bmason
15-07-2002, 09:58 PM
You will probably want to also use the /h flag on xcopy to copy files marked as system/hidden.

Also, run xcopy from a msdos prompt in windows rather than real dos mode or you will loose your long file names.

micantz
15-07-2002, 11:47 PM
To clone your old drive onto your new drive boot up with your new drive on slave and then format your new drive. Shut down all programs except explorer and systray using clt-alt-del
GO {Start} {Run} type in "command".
cd.. cd.. to get to c:\ prompt only then type this in as it is here without the quotations;
"xcopy /h/e/c/k/r/y c: d:" assuming that your old drive is c: and your new drive is d:

Graham L
16-07-2002, 02:47 PM
If there's a swap file, delete it first. It's no use, and it's likely to be big.

micantz
16-07-2002, 06:59 PM
re swap file. If you follow my above instructions it will not copy your swap file. Just remember to shut down everything except explorer and systray using clt alt del before you start. If you are using the copy to boot and run from eg if it is another disk. Windows will receate the swap file apon
booting. This is a quick way to back up everything as you just have to swap the disks over or through your BIOS. As My pc can reboot on another HDD. I can have win 98se running in under a minute if I stuff up my main drive, then I can reformt my main drive, clone my running drive back onto my main drive and have everything back to perfect running order in under ten minutes ; Approx 3 GB