PDA

View Full Version : AGP Slots

Tatu
15-07-2002, 06:09 PM
I was recently asked to swap out an AGP card on a P4 Intel 845 Chipset, shuttle AB30 motherboard fitted PC to see if that was causing a lack of display. I went out and bought a cheap AGP video card but have found it wont fit into the AGP slot on this motherboard. The AGP slot on board has a long slot followed by a short slot but the card has a short connector followed by a long connector (both as seen with the connection panel to the left).

Is this difference beacuse of AGP speeds or is this a voltage thing related to the CPU and Chipset or worse is there a new AGP standard out?

Any comments on this to help ease my befuddled brain would be gratefully received.

tweak\'e
15-07-2002, 06:58 PM
it sounds like you have a pci video card.

also you can't use old agp cards. needs to be geforce2 or newer.

tweak\'e
15-07-2002, 07:00 PM
add to that its possible you may have an agp pro slot which is longer but normal agp card will still fit (but MAY not work ;-))

godfather
15-07-2002, 07:02 PM
No you have an AGP card all right...

Because of the lower voltage signalling, the AGP4X slot on i845 and i850 motherboards is notched so that 3.3Volt only cards cannot be inserted.

A problem arises where older AGP cards exist that have the correct notch, but do not comply with 1.5Volt signalling, asking for 3.3Volts from the motherboard instead.

In such cases, the video card and the motherboard can be permanently damaged.

wuppo
15-07-2002, 08:16 PM
It gets worse than than that. There is a third format - Universal, which allows for upto 4x AGP and 3.3 and 1.5V. Arguably, the AGP socket should be 'Universal' (no keys), if the mobo can operate both interface voltages. BUT - there are some 'Universal' AGP cards that have both notches, and have a jumper to select the interface voltage (3.3 / 1.5 V).

Get it wrong and the 845 chipset (1.5V only) doesn't give you a second chance. Make sure the card is 1.5V before pluugging into an 845 based mobo.