PDA

View Full Version : CDROM Locking

lynxdog
15-07-2002, 01:21 PM
Hi, I was just wanting to know if there is a way to lock the cdrom drive while a cd is in it. At one time there is a game running, with the cdrom in the drive....... sometimes we get kids (GRRRRRRRRRRR) nicking the cd out of the drive........ is there a way of locking the cdrom drive door from being ejected, but geing able to access the drive for the game? This is for a Windows XP system.????? any help???? Please.

csinclair83
15-07-2002, 01:24 PM
I used to have this problem myself...
all i do was just try and ingore it (even thou it can stuff the computer majorly)...
or put a box or something in front of the "pc box"
what i also did was put some books there, or sellotape a peice of paper there so it looks like its not there or something...

but i;ve never heard of "locking" it, but would love to know..
am on windows 98...so i dont know if its even possible on winxp...sorry

tweak\'e
15-07-2002, 01:25 PM
try out one of the many virtual cd simulators. you will need a fair amount of room on the hardrive to copy the cd's to. kids can't pinch the cd if its on the hardrive ;-)

Graham L
15-07-2002, 03:49 PM
Any software locking can be beaten by anyone who can boot the computer. Like any form of "computer security" the only protection is to lock it away. Either have a metal cover that can be padlocked across the front panel, or a lockable box/cupboard for the conmputer box. That will at least slow down the honest ones. ;-)

ffff
16-07-2002, 11:54 AM
i have seen devices that physically lock the drive with a key and lock device that stops you opening the tray and sits in the a drive, try doing a search for them on yahoo.com