PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling 98?

Murr
15-07-2002, 11:28 AM
What is the best way to get my pc running as it should? I have an AMD 800, 384meg ram, 64 meg AGP video card. Had it about 2 years and upgraded the video card from a PCI to AGP, added more ram but it still seems a bit sluggish with the odd crash here and there. Should I reinstall Win 98 or even reformat ?
Any advice would be cool.
Ta!

mikebartnz
15-07-2002, 11:55 AM
Before going to that extreme have you run Scandisk and Defrag lately. You will find them under Start Menu/Programs/Accessories/System.
Also it is worth getting a program to clean out the Registry. Two I can think of are RegClean (a free one from MS) and RegCleaner.

Murr
15-07-2002, 12:08 PM
I have run Scandisk and Defrag but not RegClean, worth a try.
Ta!

Peter H
15-07-2002, 12:14 PM
Worth having a look in - my computer - control panel - system for any conflicts. Recleaner http://www.jv16.org
Bye

tweak\'e
15-07-2002, 12:21 PM
and also check for updated drivers for all your hardware.

also look at x-setup (mother of all tweaks ;-)) (http://www.xteq.com/) so you can fine tune windows.

markOS X
16-07-2002, 12:35 PM
If you haven't re-installed in the last two years, then it is probably worthwhile doing that.

Over time various files/settings build up in a pc due to installing/uninstalling programs, users changing various settings and other things.

The programs such as RegClean, AATools and others are good at doing minor to medium touch up jobs, but they can never come close to a clean install after good old format c:.

In saying that, however, a reinstall is a time consuming process, as you will have to ensure that all your important files and settings are saved, and you know how to restore them to your new drive.

With a decent computer such as yours, you don't necessarily need to stay with win98, however if you are happy with it, then you may as well.

HTH,
markOS X

Peter H
16-07-2002, 01:33 PM
The format command should be format c:/s to copy system files to hard drive.
Bye

Murr
16-07-2002, 05:01 PM
Do you mean install over the top or reformat ?
Cheers !

Warren
16-07-2002, 05:56 PM
I think he means a complete reinstall
Do the format through dos
Make sure you save all the stuff you can before you format though as you will lose all on C drive.
Make a windows startup floppy disk before you format though
Good luck

Susan B
16-07-2002, 08:02 PM
I agree that a reformat and reinstall would be beneficial if it hasn't been done for two years.

My PC was reformatted last December and I was amazed at how quick it was afterwards.

Like the others have said though, make sure you have backed up everything that you want to keep, such as your files, mp3s, downloaded programs, address book, emails, favorites, etc etc.

If you need some links to good tutorial websites just sing out.

Elwin Way
16-07-2002, 08:10 PM
I reformat every 6 months. Like having a spring clean - it keeps the pooter healthy and clean.

Sure , it's a half a days hassle, but I reckon you gotta to beat the crashes.

Win98SE

kiwibeat
17-07-2002, 07:53 AM
try runnining norton utils thru it or I also reccommend you use ad-aware , some more powerful programs I have are fix-it and Diskeeper and Pestpatrol, if you need any more advice tennisplayer43@hotmail.com