PDA

View Full Version : Settings for proxy server on home network

Warren
15-07-2002, 11:34 AM
Hi All
I am running 2 machines with Win 98 se and they are networked using a crossover cable.We have just gone on to jetstream starter and have a Alcatel Speed touch internal modem.I would like to turn a computer into a gateway for the other pc and i would like to know what settings to use for my network and for the gateway on our internet connected pc.I'm pretty new to networks and would like any advice i can get.
I'm trying to take the cheap option here but if this doesn't work will have to go to a router in the future(when i can afford it ).
But would like to try this in the meanwhile .
Cheers

CYaBro
15-07-2002, 01:05 PM
Installing Internet Connection Sharing from Add/Remove Programs should get it all up and running for you.

Try that and let us know how you get on.

Warren
16-07-2002, 10:42 AM
Ok will do
Last time i tried that with the dial up modem it froze this PC when ever i started the other one .
I might have my settings stuffed up and the network settings might be clashing with my internet settings .
I followed a faq on here for setting up a network and used the standard IP addresses for the network ie 192.168.0.1 for this machine and 192.168.0.2 for the other with a submask of 255.255.255.0
What i need is someone to walk me through the settings.
i don't mind paying for toll calls as long as i get this thing set up.
Cheers

Craig Bellhouse
16-07-2002, 02:31 PM
You have a few options:
You can try the internet connection sharing, but I have never had success with this with a win98 server.

You can download a proxy server from the internet and try to set it up, but this usually results in the use of only some protocols. I managed to get access to HTTP only, and shaky access to email.

If you have a little money to spend, and one of your computers has decent capabilities, a better choice is to get windowsXP, as it has pretty good network sharing abilities.

Jester
16-07-2002, 03:08 PM
Check here (http://www.webattack.com/freeware/network/fwproxy.shtml) for a list of Free proxy servers.

I use Proxy + as I wasn't able to get ICS in Win 98 to work properly. Proxy + runs in the background or can be switched on and off on the main PC as required to allow the other PC access.

Set the other PC to access the IP addy (192.168.0.1) of the main PC for initial http access (via Tools/Internet Options/Connections in IE). You can also configure email (pop3) and messenger (socks) connection too via their connection set-ups.

You should also read through the help pages that come with it to help set up access.

I find that Proxy + works well and doesn't appear to slow the main PC down too much on dial-up, it should fly on cable.

J
:D

Warren
16-07-2002, 06:20 PM
Hi ya Jester
thanks for that info
i downloaded that proxy + program and now it works fine
I'm actually writing this from the other PC connected to my network
The only thing i'm worried about now is security on my network from the web
But i'm working on it
When i can afford it i'll buy a router
Anyway
Thanks very much

Heather P
16-07-2002, 10:15 PM
Regarding security: First step is share only what you need to share. In other words don't go to the root of C: and share all files. If you only need access to one folder only share that folder.

Second step is firewalls etc.

Heather

tweak\'e
16-07-2002, 10:32 PM
outpost firewall works nicly with proxy+