PDA

View Full Version : Iomega 100Mb Zip Disks

Darcy
15-07-2002, 01:03 AM
Hi all,

I've been having problems formatting my 100Mb zipdiscs.
My machine keeps coming back saying that they can't be formated.
However when i go to open them it say's there not formatted, format now?

They are PC format discs. Im running XP Pro. I have an internal zip drive. (previously all was working fine, can't pin-point what i've changed)

I'm wondering if it matters what format i use to format the disk in, does it have to be the same format as what my HDD is? (NTFS)

Any ideas appreciated.
Cheers.

godfather
15-07-2002, 09:19 AM
HOW are you trying to format them?
You possibly need to use the Iomega utility and not try to format them with the OS default?
"They are PC format disks"
No, they are Iomega Zip format disks...?

wuppo
15-07-2002, 04:41 PM
Steve Gibson has a very good article on the infamous ZIP 'click of death'. http://grc.com/tip/clickdeath.htm May be some help.

gaxxa
15-07-2002, 06:29 PM
100mb zip is getting a bit old now, but I recently connected an 'old' 100mb zip drive to my new xp pro machine.

Because I didn't have the driver disk anymore I downloaded and installed the latest driver/utility from iomega for '100mb zip' (search their downloads) and that gives a go to 'my computer' right click on the 'removeable drive' and you should see several options with the iomega 'I' before them one of which is 'format'

when I used their format I had no problem after that

Heather P
15-07-2002, 09:10 PM
A warning about zip drives - they can succumb to the "Click of Death". Mine did and I didn't research it until it died. Very Bad Idea!

If your problems are accompanied by a clicking noise DON'T try several disks to see if it happens on all of them - Read up on it urgently.

Darcy
17-07-2002, 03:11 AM
Thanks all for your reply's, will try some of your suggestions. Thanks.