PDA

View Full Version : Win 98 install and CD Writer

Heather P
15-07-2002, 12:19 AM
Win 98, Celeron, 8Gb disk.

I have just spent several hours reinstalling the celeron from scratch. Started with fdisk to repartition, then format, then install.

Win 98 kept hanging on detecting hardware.

Removed network card, modem, zip disk, redetected hard drive in BIOS.... still did it.

I've finally got it going (after about 20 attempts!) but it still crashed a couple of times even after I removed the PS2 mouse. Every install of software now leads to a hang, reboot, scandisk on restarting so I'm still not happy with it although it appears to be working.

Question:
The CD is a writer (no room for 2 CDs) so could this be causing the problem?

I've reformatted this machine a number of times in the past without these problems. The main differences are: new CD Writer, PS2 (rather than serial) mouse and extra RAM.

I might try putting the hard disk in another machine and setting it up there. Any other ideas?

Question

Heather P
15-07-2002, 12:23 AM
(Ignore word "Question" - bad editing!)

boom23
15-07-2002, 02:54 AM
Have you tried installing it without your cd-writer? If not try that. If you're running the installation off the cd then just copy the whole cd on to your hard drive and install it from there.

It could also be your RAM, but since it's win98 I doubt it is the RAM coz win98 is not too fussy about hardware when it comes to installation. Do you get any RAM error or info at the start when you power up the pc? Also if the installation without cd-writer fails, try doing it without the new RAM if what happens.

Heather P
15-07-2002, 08:58 PM
Thanks for that. I did think yesterday of copying the CD to hard drive but with minimal system off the boot disk xcopy didn't work so I flagged that idea.

My next thoughts were to remove the hard drive and put it in the pentium and do it there, or move the pentium's CD to the celeron.

It's currently working - but I don't trust it and still want to redo it. You've jogged my memory with your suggestion so I'll copy the files to D:, reformat C: and start again.

The 8GB drive is now C: 6KB (programs) and D: 2KB (data). Small by today's standards but it works.