PDA

View Full Version : Outlook 4 me and you!

JamesStewart
14-07-2002, 07:06 PM
Hey all. Umm, we got XP about a month ago. My dad is the adminastrator and i am a normall user. He ueses Outlook (not Express) 2000 in his account and I am now wanting to use it in mine.

1st) It comes up with "Your computer has been upgraded from Windows 95 or Windows 98 to a later version of Windows. Outlook must configure itself for this version of Windows." I click OK and It says "Preparing to Install" and then another window comes up "Outlook was unsiccessful in configuring itself your your new version of Windows. Please perform a Detect and Repair, available on the help menu......." What do I do, becasue my dad has it working fine on his account and mine doesn't work right.

2nd)How do I set up another ***@xtra.co.nz e-mail to work in MY account, with my own password, so I don't confict with my dad's? OR how do I put a .NET passport one in, it ask's for "POP3 servers and all this and I have NO idea!.

I would really apreshiate all your help, thanks.

James

P.S:Naturally, the 1st question needs to be answered b4 the 2nd.

-=JM=-
14-07-2002, 07:55 PM
I haven't used XP before. But I think that the administrator would have to set it up so that you can use Outlook.

godfather
14-07-2002, 08:17 PM
All the settings for pop3 are on the xtra website under help.

pop3.xtra.co.nz is pop3 server
smtp.xtra.co.nz is SMTP server

eejut
14-07-2002, 09:39 PM
Hi

I'm not sure what the problem is, but there are a couple of things you can try.

1. Get your account changed to be an administrator. Run Outlook - it may then "install" itself properly. You can then change your account to be no longer an administrator and Outlook should continue to work for you. Make sure that your account is logged out when adding/removing it from the administrators group. Windows Installer should not care that you are simply a normal user so this should have no impact...

2. Create a brand new user as an administrator. Log in and start Outlook as this user. If this works OK then the following steps should fix your problem but all of your (you user accounts) windows settings will be lost! Make sure that all three of the user accounts are logged out. Log in using your fathers account (administrator) and open explorer. Go to the directory "C:\Documents and Settings". There is a directory there for each of your user accounts and also an "All users" and "Default User" directory. "All users" is where the global start menu and desktop icons are stored. "Default User" contains the default "Profile" for each new user. When a Windows user logs in for the first time, this directory is copied using the name of the user for name of the new directory. In this folder is a special file called "NTUSER.DAT". Each user has a copy of this file and it contains the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry hive for said user. Go into the directory for your user account and copy (backup) the NTUSER.DAT file and call it NTUSER.DAT.ORIG. Now copy the file NTUSER.DAT from the new users account profile directory into your directory. When you next log in you will find that your user settings have been reset to those of user you created earlier and hopefully Outlook will still work for you! If this proves successful then you shoulod follow this process replacing the "Default User"'s NTUSER.DAT with that of the new user. This will mean that any new user should be able to use Outlook afterwards. Now you can remove the temporary user.

Hope this verbose message helps
Chris