PDA

View Full Version : CPU operating temp and case airflow

Megan
14-07-2002, 06:03 PM
Hi all,

I have just upgraded my machine to a Duron 1.1GHz on a Gigabyte GA-7VKML board. CPU has a Thermaltake copper shim and Arctic Silver paste on the core. Heatsink fan is a Aero Cook ARSK-055 that was supplied with the CPU.

My setup is in a mid tower case where the PSU is on its side, straight above the backplane panel of the board and the CPU. I would guesstimate that there is only about 2cm of space between the CPU fan and the PSU.

With the lid on the case on an reasonable load (running Netscape 6 + RealJukebox playing MP3 or watching a DVD, the temp creeps up to about 51-52 deg C. At the moment, using NS6 and RealJukebox, with the case lid OFF, its running at 44 degrees C. This temp is from a Gibabyte hardware monitoring utility supplied with the board.

Should I be concerned about this temp?? I tried a freeware utility off a PC world disc (Motherboard Monitor which was able to connect to a third temp sensor - this fluctuated between -55 and +80 deg C so I'm not sure what that one was doing!! however I didn't like the +80 as I have read that the readouts from motherboard can be up to 30 deg less than actual CPU temp.

Any recommendations? Should I try a case with better airflow? Install a case fan?? (about the only place I can put one is blowing down onto the MB, about 5cm away from the CPU which is tucked under the PSU)

Or is 52 degrees C OK??

Any advice will be appreciated.

cheers
Megan :-)

tweak\'e
14-07-2002, 06:31 PM
i would say it running a tad warm. can you find some spec on the heatsink. i did a quick search and didn't find anything.

has the psu got a grill on the side that faces the cpu/heatsink?

have you got pic/link on case. (sorry but your discription is as good as my speling)

at a guess look for a decent case and heatsink.