PDA

View Full Version : What to do is the $4,000 Question.

JamesStewart
14-07-2002, 04:52 PM
Hey.

Problem: NONE of my games working Windows XP. NONE!

Solutions Not Up For Grabs: I do not want to multi-boot my computer, or buy a new computer (which WILL cost me $4,000+ because I have to have the best). Getting rid of XP PRO

Solutions Tried: Compatibilty Wizrd (both install and running games). But now I have given up.

So could some one please help me, I am at a loss. I have NO idea what to do. Is there a ME or 9X Emulator that runs in XP or somthing? That is the only other opition I can think of.

tweak\'e
14-07-2002, 04:54 PM
firstly WHAT GAMES?

JamesStewart
14-07-2002, 05:17 PM
Umm, Wolfenstein (RTCW), GTA1 and 2 (Grand Theift Auto), Matt Hoffman's BMX PRO, Red Alert (95 Edition). All these games worked on ME and 98 and all my DOS games to (lik Lands of Lore 1 and Hand Of Fate) but XP won't take em', >:| . I mean, they are games I LOVE and yeah.

tweak\'e
14-07-2002, 05:37 PM
RTCW works fine. whats the error meassages.

dos games.....pass proberly not. look for new vers.

JamesStewart
14-07-2002, 05:50 PM
Umm, "You need more than 5 MB's of space to run this game." I have 19 GB, :O, i think this is enough, don't u?

fergie
14-07-2002, 06:22 PM
How much RAM do you have?

JamesStewart
14-07-2002, 06:26 PM

godfather
14-07-2002, 07:14 PM
I am not a gamer, but looking at your problem it occurs to me that as you are only a user and not an administrator, I wonder is the problem you are experiencing one of permissions in origin.

Someone else may be able to assist here, to clarify if you can run these games (maybe they were installed under administrator rights?) under your login.

You don't mention any of this here (in fact you don't mention much at all!)

Would assist your cause to advise the hardware you are using. All we know is, you are running XP. As that will run (well, crawl) on a 486 you need to tell more (CPU, Graphics card)

Poppa John
14-07-2002, 09:50 PM
Personally I think you should go out & buy a brand new $4000 computer, then send the old one to me!!! Cheeky Poppa John :p :D

kiwibeat
22-07-2002, 01:14 PM
Go back to 98 sec edition which I am still on for the exact reasons you have already stated plus i dont like key activation and pay as you go which will soon be coming as soon as everyone becomes dependent on Xp also the fact that M/Soft will know more about your PC than you do and can cripple it any time is not my idea of a good operating system.
If you need more stability use Win 2000 which is a less bloated version of XP .and has more patches plugins etc having benn around a lot longer .

Biggles
22-07-2002, 01:51 PM
You don't say what video card you are using but it can be frequent cause of problems with games. For example. here is a reply from a MS guy to a query on how to get Return to Castle Wolfenstein to run on XP, that was posted at MS's XP games forum:

"Download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's site. The drivers
supplied to Microsoft by the various manufacturers prior to the release of
Windows XP last fall were written by the various companies last summer, and are only enough to perform basic functions. Microsoft does not write any of the drivers.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP
Associate Expert
Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

>"tony" <tplaninac1@charter.net> wrote in message
>news:18cf801c230f0$9580dd90$36ef2ecf@tkmsftngxa12. ..
> any ideas on how to get these to run...with NVIDIA Verto
> GeForce 4 am having problems.......
>
> tony

There was another query on the same subject there which was answered like this:

"http://www.nvidia.com

Find the link for the latest driver for your video card, download and install it. The built-in drivers do not support OpenGL."

So - the message is clear - just because the default XP drivers for a video card run XP - it does not mean they will run games. So update your video card drivers is the first stop. RTCW runs under XP - I've seen it in action - so it is not an incompatibility with the game.

Microsoft's XP Games forum can be found here (http://communities.microsoft.com/Newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=windowsxp&sLCID=US&newsgroup=microsoft.public.windowsxp.games).

Running old DOS games, however, is a different kettle of fish, as MS finally ditched DOS support in XP.

NathanTheKind
22-07-2002, 01:58 PM
I don't think being an administrator would make a difference. I am the administrator on my machine, but I still can't play all of my games, even using compatability thing.

:(

Biggles
22-07-2002, 02:03 PM
That 5Mb space message does sound like James Stewart is got prblems with the "user" account being limited. He should try logging in as administrator.