PDA

View Full Version : AVG Connect to Internet without asking

superOman
14-07-2002, 02:14 PM
Just the other day I installed AVG antivirus but have disabled auto updating features - I will check manually for updates once a week.
The problem I have is when I go to update it connects to the internet automatically, without bringing up the "my connection" box that usually comes up when I connect to the internet. The only thing that i am alerted by is zonealarm who asks for permision.

It concerns me that AVG is able to get around normal internet connection practices.

Mike
14-07-2002, 02:53 PM
> Just the other day I installed AVG antivirus but have
> disabled auto updating features - I will check
> manually for updates once a week.
> The problem I have is when I go to update it connects
> to the internet automatically, without bringing up
> the "my connection" box that usually comes up when I
> connect to the internet. The only thing that i am
> alerted by is zonealarm who asks for permision.
>
> It concerns me that AVG is able to get around normal
> internet connection practices.

SuperOman,

I'm not sure if I quite follow your problem here, but what I think you're saying is that the program connects the internet automatically without zonealarm telling you that a program is trying to connect first? I found (when I briefly used ZA) that the programs would connect fine with no interruption from ZA, and that ZA wouldn't alert me until the program tried to connect to the actual site. In other words, the modem would dial up, and THEN ZA would warn me.

HTH

Mike.

Peter H
14-07-2002, 03:23 PM
Don't see what the problem is. It does save you one step, but I normally update when I am allready connected - normally on this site and see AVG updates mentioned.
Bye

Kiwitas
14-07-2002, 09:14 PM
I'm also a little confused here!:-/ ,

Why would you go to AVG to update before going on the net??

Any app will want to connect,even your Browser unless you choose to
"work offline".

Don't think you will find a setting to stop this?

Cheers,Kiwitas<;-)

Baldy
14-07-2002, 09:50 PM
LOL...... you HAVE to connect to the internet to get your updates. Whats the BIG deal.........

Chris Randal
14-07-2002, 10:08 PM
Check the box that says "user confirms dial up connection. You will then get the connection dialogue box.

I agree with the others tho' - no point in asking for updates unless you are connected.

cadifan
15-07-2002, 06:30 PM
I'm confused too ?:| Don't you WANT it to connect?

I've got AVG set to auto update then scan every day while I'm watching Shortland Street.