PDA

View Full Version : Double click a folder opens 'Search Results'

wattie
14-07-2002, 12:31 AM
When I double left click a folder in Windows Explorer (XP Pro) it opens the 'Search results' window...annoying. When I right click the folder the drop down menu has 'Search' at the top, then I need to click on 'Open' to get into the folder. How can I get the double left click to open my folders again? I think I need to get 'Open' back to the top of my right-click drop down menu.....but how?

J ZEP
14-07-2002, 01:01 AM
Hi wattie - so do you mean it is like a folder is opening in search?
If so Supergran had a similar prob on win ME a few weeks back, but i am not sure if she got it sussed out or not.
But is that how you would describe it?
Check out her 2 posts and see if it sounds similar a bit:

http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=21425&threadMap=on

http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=21701&message=58032&q=#58032

And get back to us, somebody is bound to have a tip for you on fixing it or maybe one of those tips may help you even though you are xpPro - if its along the same lines as her prob i think one of those suggestions will be the one to help you - they would be the first try options i think i would suggest as i use xp home, but if not get back to us with what it is that is different - apart from the right click search being at top.
Hope that might help as i saw your earlier posting too!

wattie
14-07-2002, 12:11 PM
Thanks J Zep....yep, she has EXACTLY the same problem. I've followed the threads with no luck. I also have the greyed out 'Set Default' button when I highlight 'open' in 'Edit File Types'.

J ZEP
14-07-2002, 12:32 PM
Hi wattie - i was wondering was there anything in paticular that you did before this happened, that you can think of, cause in her case the kids had fiddled with the settings, was there anything you can remember you were doing before this happened eg. using a certain program? and you definately can't change the file it opens in? I will have a look around for you again (supergrans had us stumped)at least you are using xp pro and i am xp home whereas she was using ME so I thought it may have been something specific to ME. I am wondering with you, cause you are on xp, a thought would be to use a Restore point - if you know when it was working well and not doing this, see if you have got a restore point before that time. But i will keep thinking on it for you and get back to you. :-)

godfather
14-07-2002, 12:35 PM
Well, here is the cure.
The cause is a corrupted registry setting, so visit this link.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm

godfather
14-07-2002, 12:39 PM
After all the aggro over many weeks to resolve this for another user, I tried the obvious...

Used Google, 'folder opens in search' as the search string, and took the first result...

J ZEP
14-07-2002, 12:47 PM
Good on you godfather - that is brilliant, how about that eh.

wattie
14-07-2002, 04:54 PM
This sounds like the answer!!......but Nortons is telling me to be EXTRA careful here, is this a safe .vbs file? There the one's my Mum always told me to stay away from (as well as girls with sweaty armpits)

wattie
14-07-2002, 05:02 PM
I ran the file....Godfather, you're a genius. If I knew where you lived I'd drop you in a six-pack!

J ZEP
14-07-2002, 05:31 PM
>...Godfather, you're a genius.

Got to agree with you there wattie, Godfather is extrememly knowledgable - i have learnt so much off him - F1 would be lost without him i think, and i like to acknowledge people for their help and time and he definately does his share of that!!!! Its nice to let people know their time and effort is appreciated eh! and i am sure he will appreciate your thanks!

godfather
14-07-2002, 08:38 PM
Thanks wattie...
That problem has been bugging me, knew there had to be an answer.

Susan B
14-07-2002, 09:52 PM
Well he did get the Medal of Honour game J Zep, so he's been suitably rewarded so far.

All the same, I do think he deserves another couple of chocolate fish:

<*)))))><{ <*)))))><{

That's it for this week though godfather, or I'll be in trouble with SWMBO for increasing the size of your girth too much. ;-)