PDA

View Full Version : any software that can detect incoming phone calls?

sal 
13-07-2002, 05:11 PM
ye, i have read about the 56k modem types that can detect anincoming phone call, and put ur net connection on hold for the phone call, but i was wondering if there was any softare capable of that, or similar to that effect, eg, letting u know a phone call is coming through, so u can disconnect, and see if they try to call back, all this despite an always on connection, another phone line, etc

godfather
13-07-2002, 05:30 PM
If you are expecting software to recognise "call waiting" beeps (the ONLY way the telecom system can alert you to an incoming call in NZ), then put your dial-up ISP connection "on hold" (each end) so you can attend to the call, then reconnect seamlessly...

Then No.

There is none.

Its not possible for physical reasons within the POTS telecommunications system and unlikely to ever be possible.

Some dodgy modems get upset by the beeps and drop the connection. That is seen as a "feature" but its actually a fault.

Without call waiting enabled, you can never know there is another caller trying, they never make it to your line. The Exchange knows your line is unavailable and presents an "engaged signal" to the caller, who never accesses your line.

Baldy
13-07-2002, 07:44 PM
Hi Sal,

From what I have read, there is a new modem (V.91 ?) available overseas that does exactly what you say.
It is probably available over here, but like NTSC tellies, won't work properly in NZ, till Telecom cofig thier network to accomodate it.

BALDY

godfather
13-07-2002, 08:07 PM
V91:

A digital modem operating at data signalling rates of up to 64 000 bit/s for use on a 4-wire circuit switched connection and on leased point-to-point 4-wire digital circuits.

i.e. not for use on POTS (Plain Old Telephone System).
Anything is possible on all-digital, but this is not for home users on 2 wire circuits...

Peter Coleman
13-07-2002, 11:31 PM
Hi Sal,what you are refering to is actually V92,and that has the ability to put your internet connection on hold and allow you to answer the incoming phone call,then go back to the net session.As yet no ISP in NZ has this facility(in fact I'm not even sure if the protocol has been ratified yet,someone else may know).So all in all,you are out of luck at the moment.

Peter

godfather
13-07-2002, 11:53 PM
Thanks for that Peter .. looked it up, and see that a few countries have picked it up, so must be either released or in beta release.

Given telecoms drive to go broadband,perhaps they may resist (I only assume our NEC switches are capable in NZ?)

Main benefit would be the halving of the connect time, more than putting a modem on hold I suspect.

I retract my "never be available" but still wouldnt hold my breath waiting for it in NZ!

tweak\'e
14-07-2002, 12:01 AM
i would agree with godfather there. i doubt anyone will want to spend $$$ on an upgrade while they are rolling out DSL at the same time. also isp's have to upgrade their end as well. cost $$ for no extra income.

sal 
14-07-2002, 03:41 AM
thank you all, i just thought 'hey, that would be a good idea', but obvously, there are better ideas, such as getting an always on connection, mind the price for us students though.

grtz sal.