PDA

View Full Version : NAV Autoprotect won't initialise

Billy T
13-07-2002, 02:06 PM
Hi Team

I just answered an emergency help-desk call from my daughter (shouted down the stairs). When she started her computer this afternoon (P700/win2K/Norton AV 2001) she got the error message:

Could not initialize NAVAP device.

I can't find any reason why auto-protect won't initialise and I can't find anything on the net or at Symantec. Has anybody else had this problem and fixed it?

As an aside and possibly connected, ?:| I had trouble logging off her password so that I could log on as administrator and had to reboot in the end. The 3 fingered salute didn't bring up the usual box of action choices. Shut down failed too and I had to do a hard reboot. Happened a couple of times in succession but it all starts up OK, though minus NAVAP of course.

Her NAV subscription is up to date and virus defs are too. Routine AV scan showed no virus problems.

Ideas welcome, omnipotence of father under serious threat. :O

Cheers

Billy 8-{(

ntddevsys
13-07-2002, 02:58 PM
That happened to me on one of my old systems. Does she have alot stuff like MSN Messenger , ICQ , Incredimail etc on her machine? Has she got one of those hoaxes saying to delete something because it is a virus? Email Symantec they might be able to help , your local pc store might be able to help(4 Free). I got out of it by reforming the machine and selling it. I haven't used NAV Since , i use panda antivirus. Sorry i can't hepl more, thats all NTDDEVSYS Does. Try call for help on Techtv go to www.techtv.com/callforhelp and contact them and ask for some help through email , you never know it might be on there show ,channel 34 Saturn

NTDDEVSYS

Billy T
13-07-2002, 04:42 PM
Hi crypto

Unfortunately (fortunately ?:|) there's none of that junk on the machine. It's a clean install of Win2K with just Office 2000 and a couple of educational programs.

I probably sound like the meanest parent on the planet but in reality she's not interested in any of that chat/msn rubbish, she wanted the computer strictly for homework/net access!

Since I make such a hoo-hah about backups on Press F1, naturally I have a Ghost image of the C drive that I can dump back on to clear the problem but I'd rather fix it if I can.

Any more ideas out there?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Shortstop
13-07-2002, 10:49 PM
Had the same problem last week myself. Advice was to uninstall NAV and reinstall. Which I did. Fixed the problem - only hassle was running Live Update and having to download all the virus definitions again. Good luck!

Billy T
14-07-2002, 12:52 AM
Thanks Shortstop

I'll uninstall and reinstall. I've located the instructions for manual removal using Rnav.exe as well, just in case.

Re downloading all the virus definitions again, that may not actually be necessary. Just set up a "Defs" directory somewhere convenient and copy across the directory "Virus Defs" (C:\program files\Common files\Symantec shared\Virus defs) and all its contents.

Reinstall NAV then substitute your saved Virus Defs directory for the new one NAV has installed.

I did this recently to update another computer that was not on line at the time and it worked perfectly. When I got it back on line NAV update said the defs were current.

Actually, I don't think you need to transfer the lot, you can probably get away with just saving the latest definitions which will have a numeric file name like 20020710.003. Just check the file dates and save/install the most recent. It is currently around 7 MB in size, not something you want to download if you can avoid it.

I'd be interested in any comments as to what might be wrong with this approach as it seems too simple to be true, but it worked!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

BeeeeF
14-07-2002, 04:07 PM
i also had that problem. uninstall it. delete the common files of NAV C:/program files/common files. delete the virus defs. then reinstall and your a way

Billy T
14-07-2002, 05:12 PM
Why delete the virus defs Beeeef?

I accept the need to uninstall the program itself, but why not save the virus defs and put them back after reinstalling to save the lengthy download?

It makes no odds to me as I have a Jetstream connection and the download would only take a couple of minutes, but I'm a bit of a pedant (in the nicest possible way of course) and I like to understand why things happen or why I have to do them.

As a general principle, I believe that any procedure with redundant or unnecessary steps will lead users to skip other steps that might compromise the outcomes. I used to write a lot of technical procedures and I found out early that their value was limited if there were redundant actions that could be skipped without apparently causing problems.

I haven't done the uninstall yet but I'll get onto it in a couple of days and post my results. I'll initially save the virus defs for re-use and see what happens.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)