PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with Load Library error

Iris
13-07-2002, 09:53 AM
Am using Windows 98SE and had to re-run installation setup.

Used the CD that came with Computer and towards the end of the set up I got a message to the effect that:

"DLL.... was successful" followed by

"LoadLibrary ("/s") failed GetLastError returns 0x00000485"

Can anyone explain what this means and is it serious. What do I do to correct it?

Thanks,

Iris

Babe Ruth
13-07-2002, 11:47 AM
Hi Iris,

This looks like a 'bug' in the restore cd setup for your pc.

In essence at some point in the installation process when the install does a regsrvr32** load of a system or application dll (dynamic load library - a library of common items for the application or system) it fails.

The second part of that error message you get says in essence "One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found". It could be that one of the library dll's the application depends on are missing.

However the part that is in brackets is supposed to be the dll filename (e.g. Msasn1.dll).

In your case it says "/s" which as I say points to a problem with the restore cd.

What can you do about this? Nothing or something... by that I mean if your pc is running all ok then

1. Do nothing but ensure you do the MS Windows Updates for Win98SE as required.
2. See if you can get a new copy of the restore cd from the supplier of your pc.

For some technical information see Load Library Failed While Registering DLL File (http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q309288)

** The Regsvr32 tool (Regsvr32.exe) is used to register and unregister object linking and embedding (OLE) controls such as dynamic-link library (DLL) or ActiveX Controls (OCX) files.

Post back if you need more information
Cheers, Babe.

Iris
13-07-2002, 06:34 PM
Thanks for that.

Just out of curiosity.

When I started the re-install I made a startup disk (Floppy disk) after being prompted to do so.

Would it make any difference if I used this and if so how do I do it.

Iris

Babe Ruth
13-07-2002, 07:21 PM
Iris,

Basically the floppy disk is for emergency bootup and diagnostic purposes... you may never, on your own, have to use it... but it's there to help in that dead-of-night emergency!!

Now it will make no difference to using the restore cd. The cd (along with supplier instructions) is there to get your pc back to the 'how-it-was-when-it-left-the-shop' state and enable you to get going again.

It may do more (or less) and another thread_writer/poster could have more to add...

Cheers, Babe.