PDA

View Full Version : Fat32 Fdisk and Hdd

DeSade
13-07-2002, 05:31 AM
i got a 4gig drive that is reading as a 472mb drive in fdisk and when i format it, bios sees it as 4gig so does the system config box at startup, any ideas.

If you want more info just ask, I am not sure what you need to know to answer this.

tweak\'e
13-07-2002, 11:45 AM
it sounds like you need to fully delete the MBR. don't quote me on it but i had a hardrive once that showed only halve its size. somehow i got rid of the mbr and got it back to full size.

DeSade
13-07-2002, 01:04 PM
Thats great.....

How?

Graham L
13-07-2002, 02:31 PM
I take it that you have acquired this drive as a "preloved" one, and just want to format and use it as a 4GB disk. What does scandisk say about it? It looks as if there are some odd entries in its master record. If Scandisk doesn't "fix" the FAT, there is a programme which IBM give away called "zap.exe" . This will erase the first sector on the disk, and make it look like a "new from factory" disk. A search (button at the top of this page) will find you the URL.

Babe Ruth
13-07-2002, 02:37 PM
DeSade,

Try booting your PC with a Win9x Boot diskette (Win98 on your system?), then at the DOS prompt use FDISK /CMBR {drive_number} where {drive number} is the drive you wish to recreate the master boot record on. To find out the number, run FISDK and display the partition information.

If that doesn't do the trick you can do a low-level format of the offending hardrive by downloading a LLF from the drive manufacturers site. e.g. Maxtor/Quantum drives go here Maxtor PowerMain Utility (http://www.maxtor.com/SoftwareDownload/main/pwrdiag.exe)

For Seagte drives go here... Seagte DiscWizard (http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/faq/dw_faq_index.html)
For others try the manuafcturers homepage Support/Download areas or do a search for "low level format disk" on Google (www.google.com)

Cheers, Babe.

DeSade
13-07-2002, 02:45 PM
Thanks guys, the comment about low level formatting got me thinking about a bios option I saw so I tried it and its working.

Appreciate the help.