PDA

View Full Version : Missing Win 98 Se file

Maurice
12-07-2002, 05:13 PM
Krnl386.exe missing on bootup
Shell cannot findor load required file KRNL386.exe
The file file was not found
This result of deleting a few programs and defrag HDD
Can boot to Linux Mandrake 8.2 no problem.
Would rather not FDISK again
Maurice

tweak\'e
12-07-2002, 05:27 PM
easy on the posting there dude.

i can never remember how to extract a file out of a cab in dos but a dirty way to fix it is to simply do run windows setup and install 'over the top'. this should replace any missing files and leave you data intact. not sure if it will effect the boot loader tho.

Heather P
12-07-2002, 05:36 PM
>>this should ... leave you data intact

If possible Back up data first. It never hurts to be safe.

Susan B
12-07-2002, 05:43 PM
Extracting files is easy, finding the right cab is the hard part.

If someone can help with the right cab folder all you do is go to Start>Run, type sfc for System File Checker, choose the second option Extract One File... then Start. Now browse to the folder your file resides in.

tweak'e, get yourself a Cardfile and fill it with proper notes. ;-)

tweak\'e
12-07-2002, 05:56 PM
errr susan.... how do you "go to Start>Run, type sfc for System File Checker" when you cannot run windows ?:|

Susan B
12-07-2002, 06:12 PM
Ooops, wasn't thinking. Duh! :8}

godfather
12-07-2002, 06:15 PM
I was wondering that too....just seemed so easy. Must be why its called software ?:|
Also complicated by possibly no dos drivers for the CD loaded...oops

Never mind Susan, its the weekend (and the end of the School Holidays) so you can be excused this time.....

Terry Porritt
12-07-2002, 06:20 PM
OK then, this is one way. You will have to boot into DOS and use the extract.exe command. Type extract /? to get all the switches.
KRNL386.exe is in the mini.cab folder on the install CD

extract the file and put it in c:\windows\system

There may be a problem, The krnl386.exe on the CD may not be the version you lost. I have this feeling that updates to IE also update krnl386.exe.
Any way it would be better to have the original rather than none at all :)

Terry Porritt
12-07-2002, 07:04 PM
Disregard my post above, it's all wrong. The krnl386.exe from mini.cab is the wrong one and it caused windows not to boot when I tried it.

I cant find the proper krnl386.exe either :_|

Terry Porritt
12-07-2002, 11:49 PM
I just knew there must be an answer somewhere. The reason I couldn't find krnl386.exe was that I was looking on a Win98SE upgrade CD, it isnt there.
It IS on a Win98 first edition CD in Win98_41.cab. To find it on a full Win98SE CD will just take a bit of searching, or it may be in the same .cab.

So going back again to my first posting, you need a boot disk with CD rom support, and you need to have extract.exe already on your hard drive or just copy it from the Win98 directory on the CD.

Boot from the floppy, copy extract.exe from the CD to c:\

To find krnl386.exe, issue this command:

extract /A /D D:\win98\win98_22.cab krnl386.exe | more

D:\ is your CD drive letter.
This will search consecutively through all .cab starting from win98_22.cab

When you have found it extract with:

extract D:\win98\win98_xx.cab krnl386.exe

This will put the file in C:\, copy it to C:\windows\system

Hopefully things will then be ok.

Steve Askew
13-07-2002, 10:13 AM
You will find krnl386.exe in the win98_45.cab on win98se disk.

cheers Steve

Susan B
13-07-2002, 10:51 AM
Terry: Talk about a dog with a bone.... :D

May I please ask how you guys found these files in the cab folders? I mean, how do you look inside them?

Terry Porritt
13-07-2002, 11:42 AM
Well, Susan, according to a Win98 reference book a cabinet file viewer is built into Win98, but I'm sure I installed Cabview from the Win95 Power Toys package any way.
This enables you to see inside a cab file and also to extract files by right clicking on them. So you can search manually through each .cab, it doesn't take long.

I think my rush into print shows the virtue of doing the research first, but it's so easy to get carried away.

Thanks for that info Steve, that will save searching. I'm just a bit puzzled as to why krnl386.exe should have been deleted, and has anything else also gone, was it anything to do with Linux?

Steve Askew
13-07-2002, 11:42 AM
Hi Susan, I can't speak for Terry But with winME & xp both come with their own equivalent of winzip & its as easy as double click on the cab file & all the files inside can be seen, Easy peasy Aye?
I just used search function & told it to look in cdrom. :-)
Or you can use winzip,Just right click on the cab file you want to look into & choose open with winzip from the drop down menu.(had to fire up the kids pc to make sure)lol
not sure if you can do the search if using winzip.

Yep you can , i just tried it :-)

cheers Steve

Susan B
13-07-2002, 11:49 PM
I can't find a cab viewer on my Win 98 and Help doesn't produce any clues. I do have Power Toys for Win 95 somewhere though, but not on this machine.

WinZip tries to open some of the .cab files on my system (not the Windows ones) but they are "too old" for WinZip to do the job.

It's not important - at the moment - but I just thought it would be handy to know how it was done. Thanks anyway. :-)

Terry Porritt
14-07-2002, 06:07 PM
It was my Brian Livingstone book that said Win98 had its own cab viewer. I dont think this can be right else I wouldn't have installed cabview from Power Toys. It's worth doing, together with Send To and Target.