PDA

View Full Version : Web Pages Crash

Dick Veitch
12-07-2002, 09:34 AM
In the past I have been an infrequent web surfer. Now I want more and Explorer (ver 4.72.3110) frequently crashes with MSHTML.DLL being blamed. I am using Windows 98 ver 4.10.98 with 192 mb ram and 1 gb spare disk space. I do housekeeping weekly and my virus checker is up to date.

I have not installed Microsofts updates/repairs and it may now be too late for that on Windows 98.

Your suggestions to keep me surfing would be appreciated.

Mike
12-07-2002, 10:13 AM
> In the past I have been an infrequent web surfer.
> Now I want more and Explorer (ver 4.72.3110)
> frequently crashes with MSHTML.DLL being blamed. I
> am using Windows 98 ver 4.10.98 with 192 mb ram and
> 1 gb spare disk space. I do housekeeping weekly and
> my virus checker is up to date.
>
> I have not installed Microsofts updates/repairs and
> it may now be too late for that on Windows 98.
>
> Your suggestions to keep me surfing would be
> appreciated.

Dick,

I would try doing some updates - I believe WindowsUpdate still works with Win 98. WindowsUpdate.

Further to this, you might want to consider upgrading your Internet Explorer from 4.72 (think old) to at least 5.5, or even better, version 6. Both of these should be available from the Microsoft Site as well (they'll be around 25mb download, so it will take a while - took me around an hour I think).

HTH

Mike.

mikebartnz
12-07-2002, 12:39 PM
I would give Mozilla a try.

wuppo
12-07-2002, 02:00 PM
Curiously, video drivers are often to blame for crashes (especially in IE). Set your 'Hardware Acceleration' in the Video Adaptor properties to 'None', and reboot. If you can surf without crashing, look for an updated video driver.

Dick Veitch
13-07-2002, 09:29 PM
Thanks. Mozilla was a bit cryptic to start with but that is what I did in the end and have had hours without a crash.

Dick