PDA

View Full Version : Win98 Shutdown

roygretn
11-07-2002, 11:30 PM
In NZPCWorld July 2002, Rob Clarke, in answer to a qyery from Steve Oris, suggested downloading a Win98 Shutdown supplement from
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/wurecommended/s_wufeatured/win98se >, but this page does not seem to be accessible anymore. Attempts to open it lead to Win98 downloads or updates with no clear sign of the "Shutdown Supplement " mentioned by Rob. Would you please suggest where else such a file can be obtained ?

roygretn

godfather
11-07-2002, 11:39 PM
The link is corrupt. This happens when links wordwrap when being pasted in.

If you click on the link, you get to a "page not found"
At this stage look in the address bar at the dodgy link and edit out the "%20" (no quotes) towards the end, click go and you do get there. Just tried it

roygretn
11-07-2002, 11:55 PM
Thanks godfather. I failed to note the corrupted address.
Removing the %92 certainly leads to the correct page.
Thanks again
roygretn

Billy T
12-07-2002, 12:18 AM
Hi God

Is it my eyesight, or is that corruption not %20 (percentage 20). I've frequently found that % looks like 96 in some web fonts.

Doesn't make any difference to fixing the link, but I'm a curious bugger!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

godfather
12-07-2002, 08:29 AM
Hi Billy
Yes its %20, which is HTML for Hex 20, which is an ASCII space, or character decimal 32...

We won't start a thread about your eyesight, or the cause...

Susan B
12-07-2002, 12:01 PM
> We won't start a thread about your eyesight, or the
> cause...

Why not?? It's been a long time ....... :-(

Billy T
12-07-2002, 12:26 PM
Now Now Susan!

Speculation on the reasons for my poor eyesight will only lead to unrestrained ribaldry and general off-topic naughtiness.

I might then be forced to respond in kind and where would that lead us I ask? I fear we have already scared (driven?) off one humourless F1'er who didn't like the general air of familiarity. In a previous life he might have found a vocation in one of Dickens' works.

Bah Humbug :( :(

Billy 8-{) :D :D

Susan B
12-07-2002, 12:50 PM
*huge sigh*

Yes, you're right Billy, as you always are.

Oh well, I'll just have to help myself to some of your meds and go crawl back under my rock on my own. :-( :_|

godfather
12-07-2002, 01:10 PM
I'll get out the thermometer, no need to wash it is there?

Billy T
12-07-2002, 07:03 PM
Oh dear.........

Why do I have this feeling that this thread has started to develop a life of its own? What has this got to do with Win98 shutdowns? I ask myself.

Now the acuity of my eyesight is in dispute (sadly undisputed, denial would be futile) but now do we start analysing the rest of my shortcomings? I thought that was why I got married!

My father always said I should get married one day: "You can't expect to be happy all your life" he told me.

Oh God! Now look what's happened, I've started talking to myself.

Okay Billy, get a grip on yourself!

No not like that, you'll make your eyesight even worse.

Deep breaths, steady now, I think I'll go sort out a Word for the Weekend. That will keep my mind off things, or on things, or........

C'mon Susan......Hurry up with the meds.

Bi96y I-[)

Susan B
12-07-2002, 10:26 PM
*stainless steel tray rattles as high heels are heard tapping quickly along the corridor*

*puff, pant* Sorry I took so long Billy, *puff* but I had to go and replenish my supplies. I scoffed all your meds this morning, see... I'm sorry, I really am. I didn't expect you to be needing them for your Word for the Weekend and even if you did, I thought I'd need them more than you...

Never mind, these nice fresh blue and purple striped ones will do the trick, and take no notice of godfather, I always wash thermometers! It would be nice if more people caught your disease of course, but we can't really afford to have more people like that, er, grump complaining. Oh no. :-(

*Susan B looks around the room and jumps*

Oops, this isn't the lounge, what am I thinking of! Gosh, I hope Bruce has gone home for the weekend. :O

And, er, roygretn has had his problem solved so there's no need for him to complain. Come back again anyday roygretn, you're welcome. ;-)

There you go Billy, put these thick glasses on now and run Billy, run!