PDA

View Full Version : saving a list of a folder's contents to a txt file

freqwinci
11-07-2002, 10:49 PM
How can I save a list of a folder's contents to a txt file?

Babe Ruth
11-07-2002, 11:25 PM
Me I've done this many times using DOS type commands. e.g. from a Command Prompt window (or DOS prompt)

DIR {directory} /switch(s) > MYDIRLST.TXT

where {directory} is the directory path you wish to have a listing of

/switch(s) are any DIR options you need/want

the > is a redirection that effectively saves send the output to the (in this case) file MYDIRLST.TXT. If you want to append to an existing listing then use >> (two of em) e.g.

DIR {directory} /switch(s) >> MYDIRLST.TXT

For further help with directory switches etc type DIR /? at the command prompt (DOS Prompt)

This is one of many ways of achieving what you are asking and I'm sure that someone will add to this thread.

Cheers, Babe.

Rod J
12-07-2002, 12:56 AM
I can highly recommend using Ontrack PowerDesk file manager to do this. I find myself using this Windows Explorer replacement more and more. It is very powerful. There is a free version available here: Free Powerdesk (http://buyonline.ontrack.com/ecom/freeware/login.asp?Product=FSPD20000500&File=pd5free.exe)

In the program just Select the folder's files, Edit, Copy Name as Text (or) Copy Path as Text and paste the result into Notepad or wherever you want it. Simple :)

I have used other utilities in the past for doing this, but I can't remember where I got them from offhand. If you want I could look them up for you, but I reckon PowerDesk is the way to go.

freqwinci
12-07-2002, 01:41 AM
Thank you both. I actually have Powerdesk (though not currently installed), but I didn't know about that particular feature.

Btw, I agree with your assessment of Powerdesk - it's a really excellent Windows Explorer replacement, probably one of the most handy progs I've ever used - even WITHOUT knowing about the 'Copy Path as Text' feature!