PDA

View Full Version : Win modem

Jimbo
11-07-2002, 09:53 PM
I try to go onto the net and modem tells me no dial tone , so I plug in a phone and we do have dial tone. I remove the modem in hardware devices and then switch of pc and remove modem from machine. Reboot with no modem in pc. Switch off replace modem and reboot. Atempt to dial up and no problems dials up go online do a bit of surfing all a ok. Disconnect and have cuppa Try to reconnect Guess what no dial tone.
So I go through the above process again and back on line no worries.

When I go to diagnostics every thing is fine if I have just rebooted and not dialed up if I have dialed up I get Can not open port.

Would appreciate any suggestions
Thank you for reading my ramble
Cheers Jim B

mum in learning
11-07-2002, 10:14 PM
Is this a problem that has just started out of the blue,
or after you had a play? ie like downloading new drivers etc.

Sam H
11-07-2002, 10:18 PM
Hmm not too sure but just check that the modem cable is plugged in firmly to the modem and the jack point, I had the problem you had a while ago took me all day to figure out that the cable wasn't plugged in properly. You could also try another jack point, maybe the one you are using has a stuffed wire some where in it.

Susan B
11-07-2002, 10:53 PM
Have you tried using a different cable? When I first got on the internet I had problems that a new cable solved. The original cable was brand new and worked OK with the phone but not with my modem.

godfather
11-07-2002, 11:10 PM
Phone cables usually use different pins than modems. Not always but often.

Sounds like the modem is not liking the motherboard (rejecting it!)
Bet its a winmodem. Should be banned!

Jimbo
12-07-2002, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the replies
1 I have tried a new cable and yes it is a cable that came with a modem
2 I have tried it on a different jack point
3 It happened out of the blue.... no new software loaded

Thanks again
Jim B

godfather
12-07-2002, 09:12 AM
The "cannot open port" error suggests that some software is not releasing the port, hence the modem cannot be accessed. An application involved with dialup networking may be corrupt.

The "no dial tone" error may be misleading?

Could be a range of things, you may need to run sfc, but not aware of your windows version. Try going to start-run-and type sfc /scannow

Someone more familiar with your OS (whatever it is) may have more specific comment.

Mike
12-07-2002, 10:20 AM
> Thanks for the replies
> 1 I have tried a new cable and yes it is a cable that
> came with a modem
> 2 I have tried it on a different jack point
> 3 It happened out of the blue.... no new software
> loaded
>
> Thanks again
> Jim B

Jimbo,

What chipset is the modem? At a guess its a Conexant HCF (or perhaps a HSF, but I doubt it) winmodem. These are notorious for not completely hanging up after use. They might disconnect enough to give you back a dialtone, but not actually turn off the modem, so the actual modem still thinks it is connected (for some reason or other). At times just leaving the computer for a while and coming back half an hour later might work, else as you say a restart might be in order. You could try updating your drivers to the latest generic ones from http://www.conexant.com/ but I doubt this will have too much effect on your problem. For me upgrading to WinXP solved half the problem (occasionally I have to wait a minute or two for it to disconnect), but if you're not intending on upgrading to XP, then a replacement hardware modem might be in order.

HTH

Mike.

Susan B
12-07-2002, 10:56 AM
It seems pretty drastic that you've got to remove the modem entirely and reinstall it before it will work - I know my modem once needed the PC rebooted to release the phone line.

Which brings me to another thought: have you tried using another ISP? When I was with Actrix the connection would often stall on me and I'd have to disconnect, reboot to release the phone line and reconnect before I could surf again. Other ISPs don't give me this problem.

mikebartnz
12-07-2002, 12:36 PM
It might be worth a try to send the modem an init string to reset the modem.
What type of modem is it and what OS.

Graham L
12-07-2002, 05:09 PM
If it isn't hanging up, try sending ath0 to it from a "terminal" type programme. If that works, a batch file containing echo ath0 > com4: (COMx with X being whatever yours is ...) might work too.

Aren't winmodems wonderful? :_|

Terry Porritt
12-07-2002, 06:28 PM
I have a horrible feeling that the dos commands dont work with win modems?
You can reset ISA full modems that way through dos, or dial, etc. by directing the command to the modem port. I'm sure people would pay a few extra dollars to have a decent full hardware modem.

godfather
12-07-2002, 06:36 PM
Provided the terminal type program is running in windows its OK.

The winmodem is not a modem under pure DOS, just a useless collection of components with no brain...so it will not work under straight DOS, *may* work in DOS under Windows?

Graham L
12-07-2002, 06:57 PM
godfather: Sometimes, it seems, they are "just a useless collection of components with no brain" under Windows. ;-)

godfather
12-07-2002, 07:50 PM
Not arguing there...I really wonder if they end up being worth that little bit less ..if you get the meaning... given the amount of aggro they cause.

Had 2 here identical (Connexant HCF) in 2 PCs running identical OS (XP).

One seemed to work (mostly) while the other would work fine first time then take XP down the second time unless you rebooted.

Very hardware dependant for a software modem...

The replacement d-link external RS232 units never failed, locked, or misbehaved in any way.

Jim B
12-07-2002, 10:45 PM
Ctrl-Alt-Delete, and check if RNAAPP is showing.
End task RNAAPP. Reboot machine.

Biggles
15-07-2002, 10:28 AM
Jim - did you know you entered you email address wrong - no "." between your "co" and your "nz".

Hence I'm getting all the bounce messages for this thread and your not getting your email alerts :-)

*Sparky*
16-07-2002, 12:55 AM
Just read this at lockergnome.com and thought it might help shed some light on your probs.

Any modem that relies on Windows to function is dubbed a "Winmodem." Most manufacturers use "Winmodems" because they are cheap and easy to set up on a standard model PC. I don't have any problem with the manufacturer saving money (because living in a capitalistic society, I would hope that the savings would trickle down to ME in one way or another). I do, however, have a problem with the way "Winmodems" function after you add more internal devices to your PC. "Winmodems" rely on Windows to mediate their serial communication (I/O address, COM port, IRQ, etc.) and as you can imagine, the more devices Windows has to manage, the higher the probability of running into a problem. And what if you want to run Linux instead? Will the "Winmodem" function well, if at all, in an operating system other than Windows? Don't bet on it! If you want to make sure you don't have any problems after upgrading your system, you'll want to get yourself a hardware modem. How can you determine this? Checking a modem's system requirements. If the modem says it REQUIRES Windows, then keep looking... you've found yourself a "Winmodem." However, if the system requirements for the modem say that it will work with Linux, then you've found yourself a hardware modem. Yes, it IS that easy.

Cheers