PDA

View Full Version : Grisoft's AVG

Kiwitas
11-07-2002, 05:01 PM
For those who are sceptical as to how good the free AVG anti-virus scanner is,worry no more!

The latest update of AVG even picks up the signatures of Symantic's
Micro definitions if you happen to have Norton AV on board as well.

It's OK to have them both installed and updated but can only have one
enabled!(just in case you get a virus that cripples one,it's good as a back-up)

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-) ;-P

Baldy
11-07-2002, 08:20 PM
I have Nortons as well as AVG.

My problem with Norton's is the updates. I can download, but not install ( I get the message that my NAV 2001 is too old ) How do I get round this problem. Do I have to buy the latest NAV product?

Its slightly annoying

Regards, BALDY

p/s: My NAV is an OEM version. Because it came with my computer, Symantec tells me that to renew the subscription is around $AUS.60

Poppa John
11-07-2002, 10:17 PM
Am I right in believing Grisoft AVG Free Edition only detects a Virus but does not remove it? That you have to "Buy" the Full Edition to get the Virus Removal Part? AVG Free is all I am running. Maybe I have been lucky so far. Confused Poppa John ?:| ?:|

Susan B
11-07-2002, 10:54 PM
Baldy, I thought you reformatted last week? Have you tried updating since then? ;-)

Kiwitas
11-07-2002, 11:43 PM
Hi Poppa John,

No,the FREE version does all.
If it can't heal the file,then it puts it into quarantine where you can delete it. Or, as happened with me today,AVG thought the micro-defs in Norton were viruses, so I have a choice (1) to ignore,(2)change their file-name and delete, or trash Nortons!

I,m still trying to decide whether I need NAV!Tomorrow is another day so will wait and see!

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

bmason
11-07-2002, 11:43 PM
Yes it can remove atleast some viruses.

I've used it to remove a couple of outlook worms from other peoples systems, and even if it didn't as long as you know its name you can usually get a free removal tool from one of the bigger companies (mcafee, norton etc).

Poppa John
11-07-2002, 11:54 PM
So should one buy the Full Version, to gain What? Poppa John

Kiwitas
12-07-2002, 12:41 AM
No Poppa John,as I said earlier the FREE version does it all,or at least I think it does,not having seen the FULL ver so don't know ?

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

Baldy
12-07-2002, 01:18 AM
Hi Susan......

Yes, I did reformatt - but my discs are pre-installed on a seperate partition - and it still recognises that my NAV was installed a year ago. Not sure how to get rid of the rego stuff on the preinstalled NAV discs. My friend has a similar thing on his computer as well !!!!!

Regards, BALDY :-)

Kiwitas
12-07-2002, 02:03 AM
Hi Baldy,

There should be updates for your 2001 version but it is obviously older than 12 months!

I'm using the 2001 Corporate Edition which must have been sold late in the year?

If you uninstall NAV completely(and i mean every last little file),then reinstall,you get another 12 months!

Of course this is cheating and no-one on this forum would do such a thing

If you have trouble uninstalling,Symantec have a little app "Rnav.exe
available that gets rid of any hidden files.

Hope this helps,Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

Susan B
12-07-2002, 10:54 AM
Geez Baldy, that's pretty cunning! I don't know how you'd ever get around that one.

superOman
12-07-2002, 01:46 PM
Well.
Im on AVG now. Had to change. The user interface is a bit clunky though.

Had to reformat HDD last week and tried to reinstall PC Cillin 98 but every time I went to update the virus definition it says it was the same one on the server. Cillin 98 is a bit old so I spose it was time to change.

Baldy
12-07-2002, 02:29 PM
Hi Kiwitas,
Just had a look for the Rnav.exe thingee and the blurb said the following

Situation:
You want to use the Rnav.exe utility to uninstall Norton AntiVirus (NAV).
Solution:
Rnav.exe is a utility that will manually uninstall the program files and registry entries installed by NAV 5.0/2000/2001/2002. It will not remove the files or registry keys for the virus definitions, subscription information, entries in the Task Scheduler, or other shared files. The utility should be used only when you cannot uninstall through the Add/Remove Programs applet. Uninstalling Norton AntiVirus through Windows does a more thorough job of removing the program

Might have to stick with AVG, untill I can afford to buy a copy of NAV lol

Regards, BALDY

kiwibeat
14-08-2002, 03:18 AM
I run 2002 AV and pestpatrol as well which is really anti trojan software both have their place I also use fix-it and goback which is indespensable for someone who likes to tweak and experiment its saved me about 30x so far in 3 months .lol

GoBack runs underneath the Windows operating system, it can restore a PC to working order even if Windows won't boot GoBack allows you to revert the entire hard drive to virtually any moment in the recent past five minutes, five hours, even five days ago. You can also retrieve individual files or directories; even those emptied from the Recycle Bin.
http://www.gracecomputers.co.nz/reviews.htm