PDA

View Full Version : Search Files Windows ME

thephoenix
11-07-2002, 03:38 PM
I asked this question a while ago but could not find the right answer. In Windows ME I use search to find files, when you start typinh it auto finishes letters if you have searched before. How can I turn that off so it does not complete words, thanks

Capt Jimbo
11-07-2002, 03:47 PM
In Control Panel / Internet Options
Under the Content tab / Auto Complete
Untick the appropriate option and (hopefully) your problem is solved

Regards
Capt Jimbo

godfather
11-07-2002, 03:47 PM
I think this is all driven from internet explorer which is integrated with the OS.
In Internet Explorer,
From the "Tools" menu click "Internet Tools"
Click the "Advanced Tab"
Remove the check from the two "Use inline AutoComplete" boxes
Click the "Apply" button
Click "OK"

thephoenix
11-07-2002, 04:29 PM
Tried both last suggestions, already had them unticked but unfort it still auto completes in search, maybe it always will.

godfather
11-07-2002, 04:39 PM
The above tips are for windows explorer and IE, assumed it would work in Search, but maybe thats hard coded?

J ZEP
12-07-2002, 04:07 PM
Hi thephoenix, don't know if this will help - but in xp when you search for files - once you hit seach for files, it then gives you an option to change preferences - one of them is - Turn auto complete off. I am hoping ME may be similar for you - HTH :-)

godfather
12-07-2002, 04:10 PM
I learnt something today - thanks J ZEP!

J ZEP
12-07-2002, 04:42 PM
> I learnt something today - thanks J ZEP!

Gee Godie my head will be swollen for days, having the likes of you say that!!! ;-) LOL

Lets hope ME has it in search eh!! - knowing ME it won't!! Then again you have used all the o.s's up to XP including ME haven't you, if i remember rightly, which makes me think it will just be an xp option.

godfather
12-07-2002, 06:10 PM
Have to say I rarely use the search function... Just go straight to windows explorer, if that doesnt work I search in DOS command window, its blindingly fast compared to the search function for finding files.

I cant say I would be annoyed by autocomplete either...

Susan B
12-07-2002, 06:20 PM
> I search in DOS command window, its blindingly fast
> compared to the search function for finding files.

How do you do that godfather, please?

*prepared to risk fossil status as consequence of intelligence*

godfather
12-07-2002, 06:33 PM
in a command window, say you were looking for "xyz.abc"

navigate back to the root directory
C:\ <enter>

dir xyz.abc /s <enter> note the spaces after dir and after the file name

the /s tells it to search all directories, else it will only do the C:\ one

If you do not know all the file name, use wildcards, for instance if you do not know the extension use xyz.*

In the next lesson you will learn to make batch files and run them from windows......for instance for copying only those files that have changed from a specific directory into a backup directory, overwriting the previous copies..

Graham L
12-07-2002, 07:39 PM
... and to wildcard a single character, use "?". Handy if you have files called thing01.dat, thing02.dat ... thing99.dat, and you want to look for 20-29, you can search for thing2?.dat . One "?" for each character space. Also good when you want to copy a range of such files. The way the wildcarding works in dir is just the same in copy (and del) commands. Of course before doing a delete using wildcards, you always dor a dir first. Saves you hoping that undelete works.

godfather
12-07-2002, 07:52 PM
Dont you miss the days of DOS...sigh

Susan B
12-07-2002, 10:00 PM
*Susan B runs off to make a brand new DOS Cardfile and copy lesson instructions into it*

Thank you godfather and Graham, I enjoyed that lesson. Will try it out when I've finished this "session".

Looking forward to the next lesson. :-)

godfather
12-07-2002, 11:03 PM
Oops

To reset to the root directory, use cd\ <enter>

note that DOS is case INseNsitIvE

Susan B
13-07-2002, 11:58 PM
I did the DOS search and even on my old 'puter it is indeed "blindingly fast"!

Had lots of fun hunting down waist-deep files buried in the dungeons of Explorer then demanding that DOS dig them out. It did, without fail and within seconds everytime.

Just as well I know the /p trick because some of the wildcards produce screens of files that I couldn't keep up with otherwise.

Ready for lesson two in the morning. :-)

godfather
14-07-2002, 12:06 AM
tempted to teach "del *.*" but thinks twice as too full of fish