PDA

View Full Version : IE6 privacy & pressF1

flamingo rinse
11-07-2002, 03:17 PM
Hi there. How come I have to reset the privacy settings on IE6 to <medium high> down from <high> before I can log into this forum? I don't wanna & it really pisses me off. Or is there something else I'm missing???

Thanks for your time.

mark c
11-07-2002, 03:19 PM
Nice handle.

nick
11-07-2002, 03:25 PM
I don't wanna either. Spent a while trying to reset password & then login, wondering what the hell I was doing wrong. At least put a sign up, saying "Privacy Not Allowed" or something before letting people think that they can get away with configuring their browsers however they damn well please.

godfather
11-07-2002, 03:27 PM
Its to do with having to accept a cookie, so you are recognised next time and do not have to log on.

I guess it depends how paranoid one is, but you could always set the default to delete all temp files whenever you close IE6?

It does not worry me to be honest, I maintain an up to date virus scanner and use a firewall. That someone could see where I have been is of no concern really, its boring for them.

godfather
11-07-2002, 03:33 PM
As Flamingo Rinse and Nick are the same person, should you be talking to yourself in this manner??

BTW the privacy policy of the forum owners is all spelt out and viewable before you log on...

tweak\'e
11-07-2002, 03:36 PM
just add this site to your allow list in the cookie options. then you can leave the setting on high.

flamingo rinse
11-07-2002, 03:40 PM
Good onya Godfather. Mr Privacy in person, I guess. I just logged in again and saw no policy saying 'privacy settings must = medium high'. As I said in my first post - "is there something I missed". Where does it say??? I'm not sniping (unlike your good self) but I wanna see what I've missed. Don't want cookies either, so I guess that'll make it harder.

Are you a Linux user?

godfather
11-07-2002, 03:56 PM
Well, Nick, I didnt say it was easy, they have buried it a bit, its at the bottom of the "register" page.

I guess we were supposed to read it when we registered (actually I did), but its accessible from login by going to the "register" page then click on the tiny "privacy" link.

But hey - if you are that paranoid, you wont like what it says, so perhaps avoid the stress!!

Linux, no...dont have the time. Been around since DOS 1.0 (actually CP/M) days though so may look at it one day.

flamingo rinse
11-07-2002, 04:14 PM
Do you mean the bit of the privacy policy that says <"IDG does not typically use "cookies" but it may use them from time to time to facilitate the user experience or to enhance site content...etc"> and then points to the <doubleclick> website for further information on Cookies etc......or am I still missing something???

My flamingo rinse user came about because I thought I'd stuffed up my orginal uid, having sent off to reset password and all that, tokens and yadayadayada...<sigh>... & still couldn't log in. For my interest and satisfaction, where in the privacy policy does it say about levels of privacy or browser settings - some of our other readers & contributors might want to think twice, like me. Not paranoia, just common sense. You seem up with the play, godfather - point it out, please.

nick
11-07-2002, 04:34 PM
Thank you.