PDA

View Full Version : unbelievable

kevin
11-07-2002, 12:19 PM
I have been having a few hassles after installing XP pro to which cap jimbo and godfather have been offering their help.Every time I open Outlook a screen opens and tells me( Microsoft LDAP directory,Can't contact LDAP directory server (81).I have been trying to get rid of this without success,so finally I thought Iwill call Microsoft NZ,the women took my details and after looking on her PC said she couldn't help me she would have to pass me on to the technicians BUUUUUTTTT I would have to pay!!!!!! I have the distinct feeling that I have already paid enough, I am speechless,after shelling out for a new o/s (XP Pro)and after one day after installation they want me to pay for a bit of help!
I am staggered.

Chris Wilson
11-07-2002, 12:32 PM
mmmmmmmmmm
M$ M$ M$ M$ M$ M$ M$ M$ M$ M$ M$ M$ M$
Don't you love them?
My next machine is to be linux pewered, redhat.
I'm taking the pludge partly because of storys like yours, and partly because of friends who have less naus than me with comps, and are now raving about how with linux they finally have a computer the can train to do what they want!

Elwin Way
11-07-2002, 12:45 PM
I agree. I am totally sick and tired of Microsoft. I have got linux, but the particular flavour that I have doesn't run very well (slow) on this old crapped out laptop.

I have kept it though - it's definately going on my next machine. As for now, I'm using as little of M$ as possible.

Heather P
11-07-2002, 01:20 PM
I had a similar problem with Microsoft a couple of years back. Error message on screen but a request for payment before they'd help. I still use Microsoft products but less of them as a result.

godfather
11-07-2002, 01:20 PM
I still cannot work out why it wants to contact the LDAP directory, as this is only used in large corporate set-ups. If this is a home PC you will not have access to any LDAP

Have you imported any contact information from a corporate setup into outlook? If so, one ore more may be referencing a corporate LDAP?

boom23
11-07-2002, 03:25 PM
lol, you can't just say linux is better than windows. it depends on what you're using computer for. for example, if you use it for surfing on the net, gaming, simple home networking or running office product, you would wanna go with windows. linux on the other hand is not for that kind of purposes. well im saying it is but with windows it's a lot easier to setup and operate plus it's crap to perform those tasks in linux. linux is also not for normal computer users, or even beginners. the installation of linux itself takes more effort than installing windows

Chris Wilson
11-07-2002, 03:57 PM
boom,
i aint no linux expert, my experience with it was a couple of years ago, i installed redhat on a p166 and see if it worked, it liked the modem, which windows hated, and i was away surfing the net using netscape that evening. It also was flying compared to how it was with 'doze. There are good office programmes, and good e-mail progs that don't have the same weaknesses as OE.
OK i might have negatives to say once i got machine 2 set up and have had a good play for a month or 2, but the only reason i can see for me keeping win98 on my machine is photoshop!

Graham L
11-07-2002, 04:02 PM
But leaving Linux alone once it's going means you've got a working system. Microsoft doesn't seem to be for "just anyone" either. ]:)

But ... OS flame wars don't get anywhere.

Does anyone know how to deliberately start using LDAP? That would give a clue about turning it off.

Back to work, chaps, and chapesses. Just because robo's having a jolly doesn't mean that us mice are allowed to play. ;-)

godfather
11-07-2002, 04:20 PM
There are plenty of links to show how to set it up (appears its used in uni's) but they are long and kept getting corrupted on the forum post so gave up.

I suspect a contact in the address book is "linked"?

Search in google for ldap outlook etc

Capt Jimbo
11-07-2002, 04:22 PM
Aren't there two options for setting up Outlook?
Corporate and home?
I can't tell right now as I'm at work
From memory you can change these through email options
It maybe set to corporate (which shouldn't cause a problem) but may be worth changing.
(You can always change it back if there is no improvement)

Capt Jimbo

mikebartnz
11-07-2002, 07:12 PM
Boom23 having done several setups of Linux (Red Hat and ELX) I would have to say that the installation is easier than Windows. In my view games are the main reason for staying with Windows.

godfather
11-07-2002, 08:11 PM
Just had a look at outlook. (never use it, a Eudora convert)

When you set up an address book, you have two choices but the default is LDAP. If you take that default then don't actually have a directory service, you will get the problem you describe.

Go to tools-email accounts and work through from there. If stuck use help from within Outlook, thats how I found it

"RTFM?"