PDA

View Full Version : FAQ: How come my 56k modem won't connect at 56kbps?

Sam H
11-07-2002, 11:17 AM
FAQ: How come my 56k modem won't connect at 56kbps?

Contents

1. Possible Causes of a lower connection speed
2. How to increase modem speed
3. Links

1. Possible causes of a lower connection speed

There are quite a few different reasons why your modem won't connect at 56kbps.

Lower connection speeds on a 56k modem maybe caused by one or more of the following:

A.
Your ISP maybe congested with users (this mainly happens around peak times such as lunch time, and around 4pm - 9pm). This results in a decrease in speed as there are to many people connected than the ISP can deal with all at the same time.

B.
Your phone line cables may be too old or may be suffering from general wear and tear thus resulting in a low connection speed.

C.
You could be far away from the telephone exchange, this results in lower speeds as the information from your modem has to travel further before it's request can be processed.

D.
If you live out in the country then electric fences might be interfering with the phone lines.

E.
Your modem drivers could be too old.

F.
There maybe more than one device connected to the jack point you are using, such as fax machines, phones, call waiting, answering machines etc.

G.
Line noise.

2. How to increase modem speed.

A.
Typically there is no long term solution to this, you could try joining another ISP but eventually that one would become congested with users as well. The only thing that could help you here is to connect at an off peak time when not so many people are on the internet.

B.
Try replacing the modem cable that connects your modem to the jack point, if your extreme you could try re-wiring the jack point or even rewiring all the phone cables in the house.

C.
Move, no just kidding. Again there is no practical solution here you will just have to try some other ways suggested in this FAQ.

D.
If you live in the country you can get modems specially designed for rural users. These modems overcome problems such as electric fences because they are not as sensitive to line noise as other modems.

E.
Update your modem drivers with the latest ones you can find. This will often give you an increase in speed.

F.
Disconnect any other devices that are connected to the same jack point as your modem.

G.
Give Telecom support a ring and ask them to check your line for noise, they will check it and possible fix any line noise for you. This is normally free as it comes under the line rental/maintenance fee of your bill. Also check out this link Line Noise (http://www.modemhelp.net/linenoise/noise.shtml)

3. Links

Modem Help (http://www.modemhelp.net)
About Modems (http://www.modems.com/general/mcglossary.html)
Modem Forum (http://www.vee90.net/vblite/index.php3)

Note: I don't think I did a very good job of this FAQ so if anybody could add any more info it would be greatly appreciated.

tweak\'e
11-07-2002, 12:01 PM
not to shabby ;-)

you forgot the ] at the end of the [/url ....u need practise :^O

rural modem dosn't fix the effects of electric fences but it does help to make the conection stay ie don't get kicked off so much due to noise. the only way to fix electric fence is to find whose it is (good luck!) and get them to fix the fence or reroute it (need even more good luck!) or lastly a late night vist with a pair of well insulated wire cutters :^O

Biggles
11-07-2002, 12:05 PM
I fixed the links. Also, I've currently got this set a FAQ N047 cause I didn't knoiw what number it was to have in the great FAQ scheme of life. So if it's number needs changng just let me know.

mark c
11-07-2002, 03:26 PM
Thanks a heap Sam H. :)

Sam H
11-07-2002, 03:35 PM
Glad to be of help.

Chris Wilson
11-07-2002, 04:28 PM
The rural modems make a difference in towns too, i got my connection speed from the upper 30's to 40 something by using a dynalink external rural modem.
I have recently given it to a friend who lives in the boondocks, her connection speed went from 9,600 to 16,000. Not a small difference at all!

Sant
11-09-2002, 04:10 PM
I actually asked the same quesiton to a Teltra Clear technician. He told me that in some area the telecom line is supposed to build initially for one household per-line but due to more and more houses build in the area. Telecom actually split the line into 2. meaning "eg. house no.4 and no.4a share the same line but in different phone number". That's why even if you got 56k modem you'll only the best get 33.6 etc..

In my case, my line is split 3 ways meaning 1/3 of the potential conection speed. I felt it's unfair because I pay the same price for the phone line but instead getting 1/3 potential speed. He said no problem when talking through phone. Sigh..... what an unfair world, he told me th only way I can get a faster speed is either ADSL or MOVE someway else.

Chilling_Silence
11-09-2002, 04:31 PM
You can get telecom to call back your fone and run a test, while it's ringing or whatever. If they detect anything, or upon your request, they'll send out some dude to check it out. If it's noisy or faulty or whatever, They fix it free of charge. If it's in perfect order, they charge you 80 Bucks for the callout!
I'm happy enough with 46K!
Chilling_Silence

Rod ger
11-09-2002, 11:14 PM
As a country dweller I have a little less than optimal connection but found this (http://members.aol.com/AXCEL216/) site has some excellent stuff on getting the most out of your internet settings and fixing some bugs, all the other speedup stuff is good too.

Unfortunately it involves working in the registry for the most part(not for beginners).

TiMę:*)
15-03-2003, 10:52 AM
whats the lowest ping you guys ever got with your 56k modem? or what kbs?

whetu
03-05-2003, 07:01 PM
>>I actually asked the same quesiton to a Teltra Clear technician. He >>told me that in some area the telecom line is supposed to build initially >>for one household per-line but due to more and more houses build in >>the area. Telecom actually split the line into 2. meaning "eg. house >>no.4 and no.4a share the same line but in different phone number". >>That's why even if you got 56k modem you'll only the best get 33.6 etc..

Every house should have a twisted pair cable running into it (eg 4 conductors). This allows a house to be able to upgrade and get a second line installed (eg 2 conductors per line). If the need arises for cable sharing, that's no big problem; Telecom will, if necessary, convert both houses to 2-core connectivity (the modern standard, a lot of older homes still use the 3-core system) - and assign one twisted pair to each house. This should have NO effect on dial up speeds whatsoever, as each twisted pair is an independant line... you can get an improvement in older homes by converting over to 2-core, as chances are that Telecom will completely overhaul your line, or at least bring it up to a satisfactory standard.

However if you are getting onto more than two homes, then things get complicated if Telecom is unwilling to lay down new cable. Other methods will be implimented that wont do dial up any good.

>>In my case, my line is split 3 ways meaning 1/3 of the potential >>conection speed. I felt it's unfair because I pay the same price for the >>phone line but instead getting 1/3 potential speed. He said no >>problem when talking through phone. Sigh..... what an unfair world, >>he told me th only way I can get a faster speed is either ADSL or >>MOVE someway else.

Yep, the line does all that it's guaranteed to do: provide POTS capability, and as far as internet connectivity is concerned - Telecom only guarantees you a 9.6k connection speed, as that is one of the standard fax modem speeds, the slowest one IIRC. If you arent happy with any connection between 9.6k and 52k, Telecom are well in their rights to tell you to naff off, and they would probably do that if it wasnt bad business practice to do so, even moreso now that they have competition.

The maximum dial up connection speed is 52k, this is because 4k is reserved for ping/pong traffic with the exchange/isp. Earlier modems reported a 52k connection, which a lot of people became unhappy about "I paid for a 56k modem! I EXPECT a 56k connection!!!" so a lot of more recent software (winmodems) actually lie about their connection speed.

In saying that however, I have dialed up at 96k using two phonelines and two modems. Speeds were not increased, you could just do more at any given time.. for example in games pings were not improved at all, but you could get two people playing at the same time... you could download at 5k and still be able to happily browse...

for the costs for multilink however - two lines + an internet connection.. my ISP didnt charge extra like some do, and I wont say who they are but they're one of the big ones... dsl is just a far better option.