PDA

View Full Version : Office 2000 auto correct file?

Richard N
11-07-2002, 12:16 AM
Hi
I am trying to locate the autocorrect file in the windows directory. I know the file name for the custom dictionary is 'custom.DIC' but I would like to import my autocorrect file from work to my home PC as it is alot more comprehensive.
Does anyone know what this file is called?

Thanks Richard

Capital
11-07-2002, 07:56 AM
Hi Richard
Autocorrect files are *.acl (AutoCorrect List) in Word2000.

Richard N
11-07-2002, 08:33 PM
Hey thanks very much Capital!

Realy appreciate that

Richard N
12-07-2002, 10:49 PM
Hi again,

sorry David I searched my whole PC work and at home but could not find any .acl files. Any other ideas? I am using 'Office 2000 Pro'

Richard

godfather
12-07-2002, 11:08 PM
Mine is in /windows (with differing copies in many other directories!)

Question: have you ever added to the autocorrect file as it likely doesn't exist until you do...

Richard N
12-07-2002, 11:44 PM
Hi,

yes I have added many items to it indeed. This is why I want to bring it home as it is so comprehensive for a butterfingers like me. However I still can't find it in /windows dir???

Richard

godfather
13-07-2002, 12:05 AM
what OS are you using... The reason I ask is that later ones (ME and XP) from memory hide system files.

If Microsoft decide the dictionary is a system file you will need to enable (in search) the system file option, or it will not tell you about them.

Its a long shot, but might explain it.

I have Word XP, and I found the fine by going to a command prompt (DOS) and typing:

CD\ <enter>
dir *.acl /s <enter> (space after dir and acl)

BUT-

You say they are at work:

You are not on a network there by any chance???

If so they probably wont be on your PC at all, but on the server.

Capital
15-07-2002, 10:31 AM
Hi Richard
On my PC, running XP Home with Office 2000 Professional, by default my *.acl files are in C:\Documents and Settings\D1\Application Data\Microsoft\Office

Richard N
15-07-2002, 11:05 PM
Hey thanks guys yes I have finally found them. Yes I am on a network at work so perhaps they are there (on the server). However I found them on my home machine. BUT.... I actually found out that there is a wee 500 kb programme that you need to download from MS called macros.exe (which I have downloaded) that enables you to backup and restore this autocorrect list in the lformat of a .DOC file so you can view as well. This also enables yoiu to create a word DOC with a sample of all your installed fonts... and many other wee things that I shall not venture into. Most convenient. But hey thanks again. Let me know if yoiu would like this file and I will send. Regards Richard