PDA

View Full Version : I need a new browser - ideas?

andrew
11-07-2002, 12:00 AM
I need a new browser, I want a browser that looks and acts like Internet Explorer, but that is not infact Internet Explorer. Preferably quick to open, quick to browse, no problems with reading pages, no advertising. Am I asking a bit much?

Any ideas?

mikebartnz
11-07-2002, 12:23 AM
It would be interesting to know your reasons why but I would recommend Mozillla 1.0
As far as asking a bit much the answer is no! especialy if you would care to try Linux.

tweak\'e
11-07-2002, 12:24 AM
er...yes ;-)

choices- nuttscrape ;-), mozilla (not to bad) or opera (pay to remove ads).

i like opera myself but it does have some probs with some animation and dosn't display properly on some sites (those sites that will only work with IE)

there are heaps of small ones around includeing text only :O

gian
11-07-2002, 10:38 AM
Mozilla is really good... you can also get lots of pretty themes for it!

Elwin Way
11-07-2002, 12:15 PM
You want a browser that crashes like IE too? :^O

Just kidding

Opera is the way to go. You'll love the mouse gestures.

Chris Wilson
11-07-2002, 12:23 PM
opera,
it's fast, simple, effective, doesnt get all the nice features of IE, such as vonerability to trogans that redecide your start page, and is so well laid out that the silly add in the top corner still leaves you with the same screen space. You can of course get around the add by hitting f11 for full screen, or buying the thing, then the adds disapear entirely!

Looks or acts like IE???? i wouldn't put Opera down by saying that!

Brad H
11-07-2002, 01:12 PM
netscape 6.2.3
It is great and in displaying pages they look the same as ie, but they load faster. bit of time to load but it is worth the wait, also no chance of getting outlook viruses

nzporscheboy
11-07-2002, 02:15 PM
Have a look at this site here: http://www.tinyapps.org and click on the internet section. All the apps listed are under 1.44mb and are self supporting....this means no registry entries etc to muck up already crashable windows.

Brendon ;/

mark c
11-07-2002, 02:39 PM
.....or put alternative browser in the search, got a long and int. thread.

cadifan
11-07-2002, 05:52 PM
You have to pay for Opera, CrazyBrowser (http://www.crazybrowser.com) is free.

Graham L
11-07-2002, 07:38 PM
I've played with Arachne. Download is less than 1 floppy; expands to about 2-3 MB. I think it came from browser.arachne.cz . Free.

andrew
11-07-2002, 07:52 PM
OH MY GOD.

tried netscape, meh.
tried opera, meh.

CRAZY BROWSER IS THE BEST BROWSER UNDER THE SUN.

It not only is fast and easy to use, it also RID MY COMPUTER OF SPYWARE. You may have seen me posting my difficulties with a recurring URL, crazy browser got rid of it. do not ask me how. clearing my list of previously visited sites in IE did nothing to fix the problem, doing the same thing in crazy browser got rid of it.

thanks for the suggestion :) :) :) :)

andrew
11-07-2002, 07:59 PM
which, by the way, means i dont actually need crazy browser after all.

i love internet explorer. i only needed a new browser because IE had been infected by spyware (that crazy browser got rid of)

I'm still gonna use crazy browser, just to show my appreciation ;)

Elwin Way
11-07-2002, 08:07 PM
Netscape 6+ is still too bloated

-=JM=-
11-07-2002, 09:07 PM
> netscape 6.2.3
> It is great and in displaying pages they look the
> same as ie, but they load faster. bit of time to load
> but it is worth the wait, also no chance of getting
> outlook viruses

I'd just like to point out that just because you use netscape as a browser does not necessarily mean that you don't use outlook for email ;)

Yeah Crazy Browser is really good. It's a front end for IE that allows tabbed viewing and pop-up removal.

As for netscape. Why would you bother when you can use Mozilla (http://www.mozilla.org) which is what netscape is based on.

gian
12-07-2002, 10:13 AM
I'm going to change my vote to Galleon. Mmmmm.... Galleon. Sort of like Opera, except Javascript and CSS work!

tweak\'e
12-07-2002, 11:48 AM
hi gian have u got a url for galleon?

gian
12-07-2002, 12:31 PM
Yeah... Galeon itself is only for GNU/Linux, but there's a version for windows that's at http://sourceforge.net/projects/kmeleon/
Otherwise Galeon is at http://galeon.sourceforge.net

tweak\'e
12-07-2002, 08:13 PM
well i just tried the windows ver which is a mod of mozilla.

in short i found it pointless.

the java won't run at all (must use ie java error message) which is werid and it pops up with 'page not found' mesages that you have to click to clear. also no history and i won't do offline browsing....arghhhhh :(

i'll stick to opera thx.

gian
13-07-2002, 12:05 AM
It would seem that the windows version is not quite on par with Galeon.

tweak\'e
13-07-2002, 12:09 AM
go linux! :D :D

Susan B
13-07-2002, 11:14 AM
> ... and i won't do offline browsing....

I've never used offline browsing - what's the difference between offline browsing and saving webpages to the hard drive for later viewing?

tweak\'e
13-07-2002, 11:42 AM
don't have to save it permantly. because the pages are saved in the cache you can browse anythig recent. hany for forum sites also if you want to quickly go back to a page just set browser to offline mode, go to history (or find page other way) and you can bring up the old page. VERY usefull.